Flathead bait question

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by s_man, Jul 3, 2007.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    When fishing flatheads in Ohio rivers, where is the best place to hook the Hotdog? Is it in the nose or the tail, (and how do you tell) or should they be hooked near the dorsal? Also is it O.K. to spill beer on them or is that a no no? Can you catch Hotdogs in a castnet?

2. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Well I'll be danged! I thought I was the only one who used hotdogs for flatheads. S-man here's a tip, use the cheese filled BallPark franks. You microwave them bad boys to plump them up so they float off the bottom and the cheese oozes out to create a sent trail. Heck! I've caught flats up to 100 lbs. in the Riverside area. I never register them because I did'nt want anyone to know about my spot.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Sorry, I can't give up my secrets to success...:wink::smile2::smile2::smile2:
    Don't spill the beer on them though,thats alcohol abuse!!! :smile2:

4. barrelbritches

barrelbritches New Member

State:
    Texas
    when I did it , it was a accident, but I was still able to get it up:0a17:

5. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    the elusive river hotdog is very hard to catch in a castnet usually they school up around snags like ice chests and small children

6. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you use the river dog be ready for some turtles, they find that bait hard to resist!

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    You hook them through the tail end. Now to determine which end is the tail ,you put them in a microwave and heat up. The end that swells up the biggest is the head. lol

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    skip, as i think i proved to you last night. i don't like them pond raised dogs as much as their hybrid inbred cousin "the lil smokey"!!! them bastards hooked thru the leg once are deadly! and remember what happened when i used the stinger hook with the three marshmelows, we were lucky to drag tony back in the boat after that one!:smile2:

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I gotta hand it to you, that stinger hook was a lifesaver. Ive been missing too many fish. If I get the Bahama Mommas from dairy mart should I upgrade to a 8 OZ sinker to keep them down?

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i would defenitely use 8oz. maybe even add some split-shots as well. i think next time im gonna check out eisle two.. i've been scouting out them vienna sausage and the beenie weenies for a while now... just haven't figured out the best way to rig-em yet?..rollo

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I would be careful with those Vienna sausages, here in Ohio we have a ban on all imported bait. I suppose you could try to raise your own to get around that rule, also take care when handling them, they will die easily if you knock off their slime coat.