Flathead and channel catfish questions

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by cnwamw, Jul 30, 2006.

1. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    1. what is the best rigg for flats.
    2. do flats prefer certain areas.

yhe other day i was doing some fishing sor channels .and i caught a lot of fish mosy were small. i tryed useing larger bait but still came up small. any advice

2. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    bottom rigs
    flats=use live bait, as lively as you can keep it.
    channels= anything that stinks

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

for the flats use live bait on a carolina rig are fish finder rig. As for the channel catfish I would have to ask what you are calling small and how big is bigger bait? For me a big piece of bait is a 4-6 shad with just the tail cut off are a 3-5 inch gill cut in half. If the small cat's can get it in their mouth they will eat it and if it won't go in their mouth they are still gonna try to eat it. Keep trying with bigger bait are consider trying a different spot are times when you fish. Good luck

4. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    i use a lot of floats in the rivers for flat heads also,the more log jams the better,and like bigcat said, livebaitand as lively as you can keep it

5. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    i am using liver they don't sem to like sut shad to much iam going to try so large chunks of carp next time

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Channels usually love cut shad, but not if it gets mushy. I use cut shad, whole live sunfish, cut sunfish, shrimp, and liver. These days, most of my luck comes on the shad and sunfish. Never had much luck on the frozen shad from the stores. Get a cast net, feed the kitties what the eat most of the time.

7. arky

arky Well-Known Member

State:
    kansas
    hey crome , i was wondering how deep you set your float when your flat head fishing ?