Flathead and blue catfish in New York?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEW YORK TALK' started by ratkinson, Mar 26, 2007.

1. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I was just curious if anyone had ever heard of Flatheads being caught in NY. I have had the pleasure of catching a couple Blues and Flatheads in the central NY area. I wasn't aware we had a population of either here. I have caught many, many Channels. I'm thinkin if there are smaller ones here maybe I can Find the big boys as well. Anyone have info on the distribution of these fish. I dont even think we have state records listed for either of them......which means I probably tossed back a couple of records. I have only recently become obsessed with catfish so maybe I just don't know what the hard core catters of the area do.

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hey Rich if did ya put this post in the NY section Im sure Steve(splitshot) would be glad to shoot the breeze over there with ya. He is in catfish exile over the at Champlain LOL

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Richard i dont believe that we have any flatheads or blues in my part of the state. I never seen any referances to them in any of the D.E.C. websites. I would be really surprised to hear of a blue or a flattie being caught this far north.

4. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Blues would surprise me But they do have flatheads in Minnesota Wisconsin and Michigan. Maybe a an illegal stockin will take place one day and you will have that option but till then keep on the look out for a mysterious sunfish disapearence LOL

5. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Hey Terry hows things down in Georgia???Done any serious fishing yet??

6. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I didn't think we had any either, but, the flathead was dramatically different in appearance, so I'm sure of that one. The blue was verified by the number of rays on the anal fin, and a slightly different appearance. I will say I haven't caught any since then. I will be sure to document with photo's if I catch any more, and, pass them along to the experts here at the BOC. (As well as the DEC for possible record status)

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Which body of water did you catch them out of---Now you've got me excited!!!!! How often do you fish there?

8. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I caught them in the Oswego River just north of the village of Fulton. It had been extrmemely hot for about ten days, then it rained hard for a good 4 hrs. We fished near a small brook dumping into the river for about 4 hrs that night and the bite was non stop. The big fish was about 9lbs but they were averaging 2-5lbs. (about 22 fish in all). I've heard rumor that flatheads have been caught in Onieda Lake, but, I didn't see them first hand.

9. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Maybe we can get together sometime, i love to fish new areas. Heck now that i think of it maybe i could get Coreyfence and mrhookset interested.

10. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Sounds like a plan to me..... let me know, and we'll try to set up a time we can all make it.

11. coreyfence

coreyfence New Member

State:
    new york
    Yeah, I've never heard of blues or flatheads in N.Y. but there is a species in the southern part of the Hudson river called white catfish I've never heard of anywhere else. There small only averaging a couple #'s. I know I could get mrhookset to join in and my brother who fishes with him is a catfish fanatic too but he's not online, he'd come.

12. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    i dont know about it but i believe lake erie has some flatheads and quite a few years ago i fished a tournament there for catfish never caught nothing but i believe the winner won with well over 20lbs

13. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    CoreyFence:

I was just recently educated on the white catfish in the "all catfishing" thread. There was a big debate on Bullhead vs. Catfish . I probably have caught some white's and didn't know the difference. Thanks to the guys,and, a little independent research I will be lookin' for them.

14. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    CaTmAnDo55:

If you put me on a fish like the one your holding in your picture, I'll walk all the way there!!!

15. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    And id be right behind ya!!!

16. mrhookset

mrhookset New Member

State:
    New York
    This warm weather has got me iching to go to the bay. Well there it is going up there after work with a friend even though I am broke. Hes got the bait Ill bring my fishing poles. That sounds interesting blues and flats in new york state? I talked to a couple guys from pennsylvania and the alleghany river supposedly has some flats. I would be real interested in hooking in to a monster blue like 75lbs. Some day!!!

Well good luck out there post you later.

17. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Hey Frank, good to see you on, If you have a way to do it check the water temp. I tried the river Tues. i think the water is still to cold. Jay ( Coreyfence) tried also with no luck. Let us know how you do. Ive got a frezzer full of perch and herring just waiting on the catfish.

18. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    hey ratkinson if you come to south carolina i'll be more than happy to put you on some nice cats we got the lakes and rivers for it lake santee is world famous for catfishing but the one in my avatar was caught in the river on bream head at 1:00 in the afternoon and i hope to catch the state record flathead this year which will have to be over 79lbs and some odd ounces i have a good feeling ill do it this year but pm me if you wanna come down ill take vacation from work to sit on the water anytime. and the same goes for you splitshot. and i know the people down here want to go up there to catch some salmon

19. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    i talked about catfish in lake erie and i cant remember which one it was but there was a fishing show that had it on there and they were catching nice catfish i dont know how to find out which one it was but if you could get your hands on it it might help you

20. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    CaTmAnDo55:
    The only salmon fishing I really do is in the "combat zone" on the Oswego River. During the peak of the salmon run it's elbow to elbow. I never have to much trouble catching a couple,but, the show put on buy the "fish heads" as they're know here is alot more fun. Even after they've spawned there is still some chuckle head wanting to fist fight over a half dead, furry, slamon that he has hooked in the "dorsal mouth". An early charter will run you alot more, but, the salmon are fresher and fight much harder. Plus you will be "sans" the crowd. I wouldn't give up the combat zone for anything, but, it is an acquired taste to be sure. If you're up for that I'll go with ya!!!