Flatbottom project

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by etexun, Jul 8, 2008.

1. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I found this boat turned over in a back yard last year. It is 16' deep and wide. I made the man an offer and bought it. I had to find a trailer and when I did I had to have it sandblasted and painted before I could haul the boat home on it.
    When I got the boat home it spent several months turned over on saw horses in my back yard while I scraped the paint off of it. The man I bought it from had painted it inside and out with that truck bed liner paint and it leaked like a tea strainer. He said the he ran the bilge pump continually to keep up with the leaks.
    After I went through about 10 gallons of stripper I finally got to see the metal of the boat. Next it went to a sandblaster to have it taken down even more. There were spots on the inside that still have carpet glue. I decided to leave it for another day. The sandblaster said he would blow holes in the sides before he could get it all off.
    Then The boat went to a Welding shop. I found holes all over the boat. Even a few small ones showed up after it had been welded up. I used and Aluminum sealer I mixed up to seal the ones missed by the welding shop.
    Then It went to a paint shop. When it came down the road it didn't look like the same boat.
    Then I had to put a bottom in it and all the electrical wires for outlets, lights, switches, batteries,a charger, and depth finder.
    In between having that done I bought a 35hp Johnson motor and had to convert it from a short shaft to a long shaft. Changed to water pump out on it and converted it from remote controls to a tiller handle controls. (I would like to lengthen that handle a little if possible)
    After a little tryout with it I found out I need to have the transome built up about an inch to put the prop at correct depth. And I need to change to prop out from a 13pitch to 11 pitch.
    I clocked it with my GPS and it would only get up to 19-20mph with just me in it. A guy in a 14ft with a 20hp passed me on the lake. I just can't stand that. I would like to get it up to round 28-30mph. Then I would be happy.
    I started this project with very little boat savy. But, with the help of a good friend and fishing buddy I have been able to muddle my way along.
    I still have some nagging things to work out but it is looking more and more like a good boat to run jug lines out of. And maybe snag a catfish or two out of.

Attached Files:

2. flint

flint New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    That is one nice boat. I am working on a smaller one myself.

Greg

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Good start so far, as long as it works for you...

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Looking real good but ya better hurry up and finish cause it looks like your dog is ready to go NOW!!!! :smile2:

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Great Job Robert!!! Congratulations. J.D.

6. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Your rig looks mighty fine Robert:wink:. Get some pole holders on that bad boy and your set. But if you don't hurry that side kick of yours might be goin without ya:smile2:.

7. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    looks good you did a good job on it

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    NIce job, hope it works out for you. Later Andy

9. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Everytime I look out at my boat he is sitting there looking back at me. For the life of me I don't know how he gets that lifejacket on :big_smile:

Attached Files:

10. RAPTOR

RAPTOR New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Robert ,The boat looks great !! Especially for the first time!! ...?? Would you do it all over ??

11. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Well I had to do everything in little dribs and drabs because of my budget.. I still have some things I want to have done to it. But I am already thinking of working on a boat for my son. Don't think it would be as big as my boat though. Maybe a 14 footer if I run up a deal.

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Nice work - that's a great looking rig!

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great job, I think you are ready to go. I doubt you are going to get much more speed out of that boat. The guy that passed you probally had a newer more efficient motor and that is why he was able to zoom around you. Boat looks great and I hope you catch some good fish

14. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    And quite possibly a bare hull, without all of the improvements you've made. The weight of all that stuff can sneak up on you.

Nice job!:big_smile:

15. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    nice job.. i know what you went through as my fishing buddy and i totally rebuilt a 16' jon over the winter. Have fun with it.

16. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Well I have been working on my boat it seems all summer. I have changed te motor out on it to a larger 55hp. I bought it from a man in Clear Lake. He lied to me about it having a starter but I bought it anyway. Once I got it home I went over it and installed a new starter on it. I just didn't like the idea of pulling on that rope. I worked on it cleaning it up and repainted it. Then I had new decals made. It looked pretty bad when I got it, but now it looks almost new. I went from a 76 Johnson 35hp to the newer 85 Johnson 55hp. The new motor has a heavier lower unit in it than most. It is also a commercial rated motor. It added about 11 miles per hour to the speed of my boat. Just what I was looking for.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  17. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Robert was that with or without your fishn partner sitting in his seat :wink::smile2:

18. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    He just never seems to be close by when the work is being done.

19. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I just finished adding a livewell to my boat. I had the inside blank made by a man in Minnesota. Since I installed it myself I was able to have a large enough livewell made that can handle just about any size cat I might happen up on. I had to cut out the middle seat of my boat and frame in and plumb the livewell. I packed it all around with insulation to help with the water temp. I was in no rush and since I only wanted to do this once I planned out each step carefully. I ended up with a rock solid livewell. This is just to give someone and idea of what they can do if they need one for their boat. While I was building this I bought and installed 2 lights inside. The size of the livewell is 50" x 17" x 11" deep.

Attached Files:

20. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I like that good job I think I am going to put alive well on mine:wink: