Flat River

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by steinomyte, May 25, 2008.

1. steinomyte

steinomyte New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Have any you fished the Flat River? If so did you have any luck?

2. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I used to fish the Flat River at the covered bridge in Lowell every April for the sucker run, although its been several years since I've done that. I used worms and nightcrawlers on the bottom and always did pretty well. That was a popular place to fish, especially on Saturdays; sometimes many cars would pull up and people would pour out to line the bank there. I think there may be some ethinic dish that uses sucker because the people always asked for my fish, they didn't throw any back. One day I was fishing and not paying attention to my rod, which was propped in a forked stick, and of course I was off down the bank with my friends, and an Asian American man started yelling and waving his arms. My rod was dangling on the edge of the stick, caught, about to be dragged into the river. I ran down and got my rod just in time. That was my first experience with a catfish there, 24" channel, which I gave to the man. I invested in some rod holders after that. :smile2: I caught a few channels there on other days but was never targetting them; don't have much experience with any other spots.

3. steinomyte

steinomyte New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I want to find a good hole for flatheads and I think theres a lot of untouched territory on that river.

4. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I live about a 5 minute walk to the flat river, which IMO is an insane Smallmouth river, with a few small, clean northerns scattered about. I fish it a ton since its so close to home and my 5 yr old boy asks me like every 10 minutes to take him fishing...lord what have I created? Don't get me wrong I LOVE to fish, but wow the dude can go for ever :smile2:

Anyways, I have fished the flat river all the way north of Greenville, down to Belding, into Smyrna, (REAL SLOW, MUCKY, WIDE, part above fallasburg park), and of course at the mouth in Lowell, I have NEVER CAUGHT A CATFISH IN THE FLAT RIVER, except at the mouth where it dumps in the Grand, which is where you would have your best luck to catch a channel or maybe a flathead if you get lucky. Problem with this spot is its hit HARD, tons of people go here, and the pressure is hot there.

The pic that I had to take myself, pointing the camera towards me, was a nice 6+lb smallmouth I caught earlier this spring. Personally if you want catfish action, keep to the Grand, or the Maple. Hope this helps ya.

5. steinomyte

steinomyte New Member

State:
    Michigan
    That does help lot. yeah I think I will stick with grand. My in-laws live in Belding and Greenville.

6. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Yeah, I live in Belding as well, thats why I get the chance to fish the flat so often! Saw a HUGE smallmouth when I took my kids out on the boat a few days ago, it went for my spinnerbait, and turned away at the last second, 6-7lb smallie!!! Too bad he didnt swallow that bait! Im going back to that railroad bridge and try for him again sometime :) Ive caught hundreds of smallmouth out of that river, and have never seen one of this size yet, my heart was pounding!

7. steinomyte

steinomyte New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Good luck on catching that one. If you dont get that one I might have give it a try in July.:big_smile: