Flat heads

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by payton350, Sep 28, 2008.

1. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am going this weekend to a local smaller river about mabye 5 miles from the mouth of the missouri to hopefully get a worthy flat head to talk about. I was wanting to know what there patterns might be, and if it is to cool, around here it will be into the mid to high 40's at night, I made a local post already I just want a broad opinion.

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    you still have plenty of time till its too cold bro. they should bite till oct/nov. at least for you.

3. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    If the water is cool in your area try fresh cut bait.:wink:

4. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I would try live bait to start in or around deep water. As the night goes on cast closer to the bank and into the blowdowns.

5. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I thank you guys very much, and I was also wondering if they are still hanging around in the places that they would be in the summer.

6. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I highly doubt that they have moved much from the summer range yet. The time of year isnt as important as the temperature of the water. With the way the year has been going, at least up here, we havent had enough rain to make the dams move much water. I think this is going to be to our advantage FINALLY. All summer we have needed rain to help the bite but now that its fall time the lack of rain should mean that we have warmer water for a little bit longer. The small amount of water thats being let out of the dams shouldnt have much of an effect on the temp of the water in the pools.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    if your after flaties think like a bass fisherman,and fish the cover. it dont take much to hold a good fish either. they will however run featureless banks at night.

8. pitbull33

pitbull33 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Iwould use a nice big piece of cut bait drifting it on the bottom and no they tend to move to deep holes when it is colder.