Flat heads

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by smitty1963, Jul 30, 2008.

1. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was wondering if anyone has ever caught a flat head in any river in Va???

2. King Catfisherman

King Catfisherman New Member

State:
    Virginia
    we catch them in the james river all the time we had 20 some people fishing a little tournament sat. night it was a 32lb. in 1st 28 in 2nd and a 24 in 3rd not bad in lynchburg

3. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Outstanding, so far all I have caught down Williamsburg way have been either blues or channels

4. Johny Buck

Johny Buck New Member

State:
    virginia
    Took my cuz from northern Va on the james she caught a few.

Attached Files:

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I live in Lynchburg, but don't know much about how or where to target the flatheads. I hear about them being caught all the time though.

6. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I usually fish for them at Watkins up river on the James. I use live bait normally...lately I have been catching them around the Dutch Gap area fishing for Blues..some nice size ones around the wing dams.

7. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    we catch flatties in the staunton and the dan river. they run into kerr lake ( buggs island) my son caught his PB flathead last friday at 26 lbs.

8. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I just read an article online thats says they are very abundant from the Powhite bridge down through Pony Pasture just to past the Wetlands. I haven't explored that area so much, I just love the tidal James area. I know the flathead will hit in the heat so I'm thinking I need to find a hole and try to catch some. I did catch a small flathead at the wilcox wharf and people have caught them in at dock street downtown Richmond.

9. clatorlakecat

clatorlakecat New Member

State:
    va
    yesi have on the new river afew years back it was my biggest cat i had ever caught 28lbs 2am he came in and busted the water about 20 feet off the bank i reeled in put a fresh redeye about 4 inches long 20 min later bam! i lucky had the rod tied off to the bank man what a fight it was. keep him alive all night and put him in my bath tub the nexted morning:wink:

10. clatorlakecat

clatorlakecat New Member

State:
    va
    i was always wandering if bulegills were actually a leagal game fish to use i fish the cratorlake in pulaski . iam packing up my gear for tommorrow night ,big adventure

11. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    I was fortunate to work and fish for a couple of years with Captain Mike Ostrander of James River Fishing School back before he went to guiding full time.

He showed me some great holes near Pony Pasture and under Boshers.
    He offers guide trips that he floats some inflatable pontoons for flatties on the stretch of the James from Boshers to Pony.

Great guy, look him up!

PS. For what I know (which aint much) bluegill are leagal to use if you catch them with hook and line.....no cast or gill net.