Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of us know that if you are fishing for Flats then the last thing you want around is a light shinning on the water. Question is Why.
In the Texas hill country some of the lakes there have 15' and up to 30' vis. There are lights on every other dock, at all the marinas and any where else you can think of. And yet Flats are cought under them regularly. Even here at my place people have cought a few nice Flats out from under my Lighted pier.
I understand that they get used to the lights being on night after night, but. I have read somewhere in the past that catfish have a 45 min. memory. Now if thats true then why could you not have a light. Is it the light that scares them away or is it the SHADOWS that get thrown on the water by people getting up and moving around? I think it may be the shadows and not the actual light. Just a thought. What do yall think.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
You may very well be onto something there, the light doesn't help but folks walking around in front of it throwing shadows everywhere and just the sound of them walking really shut down the fishing, the worst is when some @#^%# walks down to the shore and uses a spotlight to "look around" and shines it back and forth around on the water,it's game over for hours in that area. I know of too many times I had a fish biting and I got up and walked to my pole in the pitch dark and the minute I get near the pole the bite stops, leads me to believe that the vibrations on me walking over scared the fish off. Sound may be more important than light , but I still feel a bunch of light doesn't help if it's shining on the water, if the banks high enough and the lantern kept low enough to the ground that no direct light hits the water it doesn't seem to hurt that bad as far as fishing goes. flatheads are wary fish, and for good results I feel you should do your utmost to remain invisible to them.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Most of us know that if you are fishing for Flats then the last thing you want around is a light shinning on the water. Question is Why.
In the Texas hill country some of the lakes there have 15' and up to 30' vis. There are lights on every other dock, at all the marinas and any where else you can think of. And yet Flats are cought under them regularly. Even here at my place people have cought a few nice Flats out from under my Lighted pier.
I understand that they get used to the lights being on night after night, but. I have read somewhere in the past that catfish have a 45 min. memory. Now if thats true then why could you not have a light. Is it the light that scares them away or is it the SHADOWS that get thrown on the water by people getting up and moving around? I think it may be the shadows and not the actual light. Just a thought. What do yall think.

Wish my memory was that long!!!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I think alot depends on where and how you fishing too after reading others posts. I often fish in front of me where the cast involes opening the bail and dropping the rig straight down from the rod tip, when fishing only 5 to 15 foot out from my chair lights and sound really spook the fish, if your throwing 75 yards away it might not make that much difference.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You may very well be onto something there, the light doesn't help but folks walking around in front of it throwing shadows everywhere and just the sound of them walking really shut down the fishing, the worst is when some @#^%# walks down to the shore and uses a spotlight to "look around" and shines it back and forth around on the water,it's game over for hours in that area. I know of too many times I had a fish biting and I got up and walked to my pole in the pitch dark and the minute I get near the pole the bite stops, leads me to believe that the vibrations on me walking over scared the fish off. Sound may be more important than light , but I still feel a bunch of light doesn't help if it's shining on the water, if the banks high enough and the lantern kept low enough to the ground that no direct light hits the water it doesn't seem to hurt that bad as far as fishing goes. flatheads are wary fish, and for good results I feel you should do your utmost to remain invisible to them.
I totaly agree. I only use a red beam head light w/fishing for flats and get as still as possible.
I fish alone almost 100% of the time. Not because I dont want the company, but because Im the only one that I know that can keep his mouth shut and stay still. Plus i had rather hear nature running at the mouth more than anyone Iv ever met.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.