Flat Head Mount

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by smpatrick, Feb 16, 2008.

1. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have been thinking about adding a nice flathead mount to my collection. Has anyone ever done a Flathead Head Mount...because it sounds like a great idea to me!!

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Scott - I have 2 Trout and 1 Walleye mounted on my living room wall. My taxidermist is really good and told me he can't do Catfish. It has something to do with their skin. Perhaps someone else can give you a different opinion but thats what I was told.

3. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I can see that...maybe do a replica. But its not the same:sad2:

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    A replica sounds good enough to me. Why kill it just so it can be the actual fish?:angry:

I don't think Catfish mount very well anyway. Just take a bunch of accurate measurements and get a replica. They look pretty good nowadays and probably better than the 'real' thing would turn out.

5. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    like it was mentioned in the previous post. go with the replica. practice cpr
    catch,photo and release. catfish can be skin mounted, but with the oils in the skin, the outcome can be less rewarding in the long run. done by a reputible taxidermist, a replica mount will look so life-like. it's scary! that's in a good way.

Hope this helps!!
    Mark

7. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Im all about CPR..but one fish isnt going to hurt a species that the PA FISH Com. calls a problem fish? Eveybody breath:eek:oooh:

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thats cool Scott, I'm not gigging you but if everybody thinks that way and kills them all, eventually the fishery will decline. Your legal catch, your absolute right to do with it as you wish. A lot of us try release the big ones. Give us a chance and read up on conservation efforts to preserve our great catfishery.

Good luck in the pursuit of your trophy! Maybe your son will have the chance to catch it when its even bigger.

9. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Your right...the lose of that fish would destroy the ecosystem for my son..thanks

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    well put and to the point!!!!!!!!!!

11. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Scott, my taxidermist told me the same thing about the skin drying after a couple years on a Catfish mount. He showed me one he had that was four years old, really looked terrible. The Channel Cat replica he made for me looks really great and has for around 10 years now. There's a picture of it in my photo's, don't know how to tell you to get there though.

12. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Don't waste your breath. Didn't think I said anything out of line and re-iterated that his legal catch, his choice. Suggested only that he read up on conservation efforts.

Got negative repped, can't say by who as it isn't allowed.

13. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I learned taxidermy at the PA Institute of Taxidermy and we were taught not to bother with a catfish skin mount,a replica is definately the way to go.I saw some on the net and they looked pretty good.

14. jdwizard

jdwizard New Member

State:
    Independence, Missouri
    I saw a catfish mounted at a little store in south Missouri maybe I can find out more about it and get back to you,I have wondered the same thing.....

15. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    Being a taxidermist I can explain this somewhat better.

A catfish (as well as other cold water fish) contain excessive amounts of oils in the skin. It is nearly impossible to get all the oils out of the fish. After it is mounted the skin starts to dry and "shrinkage" appears all over the place. This is what makes the fish look so bad. And years to come the oil will drain to the bottom of the fish and start turning the fish brown. And in high humidity areas of the country I have seen and heard of fish start dripping oil years after it was mounted.

I am in the process of casting a catfish head that weighed around 35-40 pounds. Once I get the mold cast and finished I will see how good the mold produces the fish head. This is more of a experiment for me than anything else. For a customer I would purchase a reproduction for them. Until I get several molds of different sizes and all the imperfections corrected.

I know alot of people preach by the bible of C.P.R. and I personally practice C.P.R. But at the same time it sure is nice when a father brings his kid in the studio with a handful of bream and wants them all mounted. So due to my profession, I got mixed feelings about C.P.R. and I hope you all understand my position.

It easier for some one to pay me $10.00 per linear inch (on a warm, fresh water fish) than it is for them to pay me $15.00 per linear inch (plus shipping from the manufacturer) on a reproduction.

~Teddy

16. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Darryl i think you put it very well. I dont think you said anything out of line.You exspressed your opion without putting anyone else down!! reps to you bro.

17. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    a replica looks a lot better than a real mount

18. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I am as adamant about CPR as the next guy, and the posts have been very tame and well written, but..... some failed to remember and continued after that reminder that the State of Pennsylvania wishes that the Monongahela be ridded of ALL flathead catfish. Now no matter your opinion of this mandate, it is clearly going to color the opinion of the folks in that area. Imagine, you government encouraging you to harvest, and some internet acquaintances saying.... No don't do that you're government is wrong.....

The fact that the man wants to pay to have one on his wall is a testament to his respect of the species. Do we really want to run him away from this site to prove YOUR point? Play nice folks, not everyone is going to agree with what you, or even the majority think. It doen't make them the Anti-Christ.

19. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Shawn, the LAST thing I wish to do is run anyone away from the BOC.

If you look closer you'll see that his post stating that the PA game commission wishes the river rid of Flatheads was posted at exactly the same time as my so-called response. I can see how that would encourage eradication by the locals. Not that this gentleman even feels that way, not saying that.

We have exchanged apologies via PM and I will also publicly apologize if I offended.

I do tend to encourage CPR, but also realize everyone has their legal right to keep their fish.

I never really thought about CPR until I was educated on this site. To me it feels good now to see those bigguns swim off to grow bigger. A picture lasts forever.

20. cassk

cassk New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I think a picture in a frame hanging on the wall says it all, respect for the love we call catfishing. Add one to your photo album and take it to all the BOC get togethers, show it with pride. :big_smile: