Flat Head Catfish Vs Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by TheRiverRat, Jul 20, 2008.

Flatheads VS Blues

1. Flathead Cats

2. Blue Cats

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    Flatheads or blues that is the question for me its flatheads all the way they are bigger and put up a much better fight than blues.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I had to vote for the Flatties. They are more abundant in the pool of the Ohio River I fish. I've caught some nice Blues but I prefer the Flatties any day!!!

3. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    had to vote for flatties they more abundant and biggest fish here in kansas they put up a good fight aswell. shoot we hold the world record :crazy: i wanna find his big brother:smile2:

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Thogh I voted for the Flathead, I like both. One for it's shear brute strength and the other for it's hard strike and long runs.
    Flatheads are without a doubt one of the strongest fighting catfish in U.S. fresh waters. The fight ain't over till you see him 'The Second Time", LOL!!! The raw strength of these fish is astounding!!! The first time you see them is when your tackle is tested to it's limits and, if there is a week point in your line, this is where it WILL be found!!! If I know it is a flathead and he is close to the surface, I will back my drag of to be prepaired for the next phase!!!
    Blues provide a very different fight. These magnificent creatures are very strong runners and hard hitters. They will use the current against you if the can, they will roll up on you line and pull the hook on occasion (not sure if it is intentional or not). I have had them run till I thought they were gonna spool me, only to have them quit running at the last minute.

5. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    blues to me are the pigs of the water they dont really fight that well they just kind of roll around :smile2:

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    When you hook a big one in heavy current you will understand what I mean Lil'Brother, LOL!!!

7. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    the biggest blue i gought was a 34 lber but i guess thats bambi

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I had to say flathead. Biggest fish i ever caught on a rod was a flathead. Prolly went close to 20 pounds and was caught on a St. Croix spinning rod and a gig while bass fishing.10 pound p-line and needless to say it took awhile to wrestle him down.When i get to the missouri river next month hopefully i can compare the two species and perhaps re-evaluate.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Not exactly Bambi, LOL!! If you caught it in a lake, they don't fight near as hard as the do in rivers (this has been my experience with them). It is mostly due to the conditions that they live in. River fish are for the most part stockier than lake fish because of currents and having to constantly fight them. Some lakes do have currents in them and provide stocky blues as well. It also has allot to do with the time of year in which you catch them.

10. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    yeah than thats prob why

11. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Blues because they are much easier than flats to find and catch. That said, when I hit an area that gives up a nice flathead, I will concentrate on the cover and depth that they are in and, Yep the may be biggger if you can get them but the big blues are far more easier.

My opinion, only ok not wanting to stir up the muddy waters, lol.
    Keep them lines wet

12. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i voted blue because ive never caught a flathead :cool2:

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I really enjoy catching the big blues, Flats are nice and always fight good, but I like the blues.

14. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I voted for the flathead, for the reason I've never caught a blue cat. Yet. I've only caught a few flatheads, with my largest only being 17#. It was caught in an inlet with fast current and the fight was tremendous. Fast runs and brute strength.

15. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

If it is Blues vs. Flatheads in a fish fight I'd have to go with the humpback, just because they bite much harder, and they are a lot meaner than a Flathead. As far as catching them on Rod and Reel, I'd call it a draw, they don't behave the same way, but they can both put up a heck of a fight. I can say this though, here in oklahoma a lot of big flatheads have been caught on crappie rigs, this might just be because the flatheads were eating the crappie.
    :smile2:

16. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    you catch a blue in a shallower lake,it won't fight as hard,specially in summer,when its hot.not much oxygen in the water,when they are fighting,it tends to build up lactic acid,which will kill it.you take that 34 pound blue,coming out of cool deep water,it'll give ya a fight.i caught a 31 when i was around 14,nearly pulled me in the lake.i lov the way a blue hits,and fights.ive seen em almost skip a bobber across the top of the water.
    i like flats,cause they don't get rid of all their energy in the first few minutes of the fight.they drag it out,making you work hard for it.specially with that rounded caudall tail,it is was made for power,not speed like the blues tails are.

17. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    WEll if you stick to the river you wont have to worry about it :cool2:

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    never caught a blue, so I vote flatheads.

19. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    u use cut shad the whole time and you seriously never cought a blue cat

20. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Where he fishes, there are no blues!!!!