flat fishing n the rain?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by kat king, Aug 13, 2008.

1. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    i was just curious if anyone knows if flathead are still active during rain and if so do they hold closer to structure? thanks to all who reply..

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yes as long as its not a bad storm, channels go crazy

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    In my experiences they are more active. Especially before and after.But I have caught them in the rain many a time. Just fish your normal feeding areas and watch out. There is alot more oxygen in the water and they dont play.:smile2: Also, make sure to keep an eye on rising river levels. It doesnt take long for it to get dangerous.

4. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    thanx i really dont have to worry about the water level cause its a 7-8 foot drop to the water from the spot i fish its actually a shallow river most of the time has lots of flats...

5. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    We flathead fish quite a bit and in our experiences the flathead explode during a rain. Right before, during, and right after. It also seemed like the worse the rain the bigger the fish. My PB of 55# was caught just before a wicked rain. I caught a 52# in the middle of a straight pour down. As long as it isn't lightening, don't really want to hang on to a lightening rod!:eek:oooh:

6. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    thanks for the info thats a hog in your avatar pic i am headed to the hole saturday night and there is a chance for some rain was just curious if the bite was still good or even better i am ready to hit the river this weekend hope i get on some biggins..thanks:wink:

7. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    yes they hit during rain

at a small lake close to me caught 3 in 20 minutes during a heavy rain storm 2 in 30lbs and a 18 or so . i finally had to leave my older 18 foot john didnt have a bulge pump in it and i was soaked !!!! pissed me off to because they where biting good . smaller creeks with a little rise is awsome at times .

8. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks

thanks i had a similar event like that we caught two channels when it was pourin and we caught the first one about 30 minutes after we got there then after casted back out 5 minutes later caught the other one but we were soaked and it got bad so we had to leave been hittin the same spot every saturday and caught a bigger one each time the biggest bein a 18lb flattie..

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'd say more so during a rain. It hardly matters to the fish though as they are all ready wet. If you can stand the cold, wet, clamy clothes, you can catch fish. See lightning... go home. FAST.

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I couldn't have said it better myself.............:big_smile: