Flat bottom- vs- v hull aluminum boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Localhero813, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a 14' flat bottom jon boat that is a littiel wider than a regular jon. i am looking to sell it and but a 14 foot v hull alum. boat like the one in the pic. but will the v hull be sturdier or will it be worse( i am 6'4" 290 lbs) plus i want to take my neighbor kids with me . the flatt bottom is a little tipsie but not to bad. i am going to get this v bottom for alot cheaper than what i payed for my flat bottom that is why i want to sell but if it will be worse i dont want to but it

thanks
    :wink: daytona

2. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    forgot the pic it is close to this one except it is 14foot and needs sanded down

3. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    its not being nice ill try again

Attached Files:

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    YOU WILL be better off with the flat bottom

5. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    stay with the flat bottom i have an ole boat just like thatone and its not very stable if you stand up in you better be right in the middle or you will get wet lol

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I will argue all day long-FLAT BOTTOM..There aint no other boat that is more versitile or stable providing the make/model are worthy of the users needs-I can run on little water-get in or out on about nothing-switch the conditions and I have limitations over rough ride....but I dont need to be out there if the conditions are like that anyway so...they are the safest boats on the water and a workhorse that is reliable.My first boat I did some stuff with....(14ft. polercraft)I baby the lowe I have now but it gets punished..Jons are made to use and run like you stole em:wink:....Fishing boats are what they are........I put my boat thru alot and I fish about anywhere i can get in or toss a line!....THATS WHY i HAVE IT......You might be sorry fer gettin out from under the flat bottom?I dont know it all but I will always have my flat bottom girl!4-6 inches of water we can float after that we fish:wink:

7. Catfishrob

Catfishrob New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Think about that ax your holding. If you stood on the back with the blade on the ground like a v bottom it would be more "tipsy" than standing on the "flat" side.

Same with a flat bottom Jon vs a V. The v is to axe through the chop or waves.

The flat bottom is for stability. Get a Weld-Craft welded Jon 52" bottom or like mine 70" bottom. You could dance a Jig on it...... Tough as nails commercial aluminum.:roll_eyes:

8. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    If stability you want, the flat bottom you need!

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you think that flat bottom boat is tipsy, you want to stay away from the v bottom.

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    The physics of it say the flat bottom will be more stable. If you measure the width and depth of the flat part of each boat that actually touches the water (surface area), the one with the most surface area will be the most stable. For your size I would recommend a1548 minimum an a 1654 (16 feet 54) inch beam even better.

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    no doubt the flat bottom will be more "stable" in reg water , but the V (like someone else said) was made to cut through waves and will be more stable in rough water. If I'm not mistaken, it's called secondary stability.

12. squirrel

squirrel New Member

State:
    california
    the flat botoms are also easier to trailer.have v bottom trailering in windy contions is a bear
    Andy

13. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    ok well after i went and talked to them they said the took it to the scrap yard and got 40.00 out of it there and it is alum. :crazy::crazy::crazy::confused2::cool2::wink::confused2::crazy: i was going to offer them 150 for it and the trailer but i guess it wasnt ment to be.