flat bottom question

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Monsterkat11, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i'm buying a 16 foot landau flatbottom boat this week, the only kicker is that the beam is only 48 inches i believe. think i would have any problems with the boat tipping if i'm bringing in a good size flathead or blue?

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Is that the beam, or bottom width? Big difference.

If it's a 48" bottom, you'll be fine. If it's beam, then you'll just have to be more careful.

3. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i'll have to measure but i'm pretty sure the beam

4. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    I grew up fishing out of a 1636 jon boat. Very narrow, we hauled it in the back of our station wagon, I'm sure the beam was only 48". The max hp rating was 10.

We trot lined a lot and boated many 20-30 lb cat without a problem. You just learn that you don't sand up much.

Now I'm not sure what landing a 50+ lb Blue would do in a boat like that. Probably put you over the max load rating.:big_smile:

5. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i called the guy and asked him to measure. from the research i've done i think the smallest 16 foot landau made had a 48' bottom. and a 56 inch beam. i still have to find out for sure, but i know the max horse power rating on it is 25hp and i think a 4 person limit

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My boat has a 48 inch botttom 58 (approx) beam ,running on the Sippi I am minum requierments to me and there are times and places I wont go...I have seen some small boats out there I'd never take but it aint my butt...
    Be careful and learn your boat do not make foolish decisions & you wil know.A picture would help:wink:Be careful and be safe-have a good time & best of luck to you....Hey congrats on the new rig too!

7. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    i have a 14 ft 42 in and i have NO problems with even getting close to turning it over even with a deck built on front

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I started fishing the Arkansas River with my father-in-law's 14' jonboat with a 36" bottom; then I bought a 16' with a 36" bottom. My buddy and I never had much trouble with it, but we did have to be careful not to both lean over the same side. When one of us had to lean way over, the other kind of moved to the opposite side to counterbalance it. Then I got my 16' Lowe with a 48" bottom. Difference like night and day. Both of us can hang over together with no danger of shipping any water. I don't know what the beam is, but you can't hold onto both sides of the boat at the same time...too far to reach.

9. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    found a new boat, 54 inch bottom, 64 inch beam :)

10. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Have you looked at the 1660 or 1672 from Alumacraft. I checked one out the other day. They are huge. They look like they would be real steady. Even if you caught a submarine.lol

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    For real? They aren't listed on their website.