Flat bottom question

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by head hunter, Dec 30, 2009.

1. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    Any suggestions on how to stabalize a 12 ft flat bottom that's only 48 inches wide ?? :confused2:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I often wondered that when I used to fish in a 12/48 in my younger days. I even thought of rigging up some outriggers to stabilize it. Never did though. It's tough fishin' out of a small, narrow boat. The younger you are the easier it is to fish out of a small boat. Older people need MORE room! :smile2:

BB in SC

3. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i have a 14/48 and can't come close to turning it over.mine is real stable never had a problem.are you talkin about 48 across the floor,if so it should be stable.i fish three people out of mine regularly,all three can lean toward one side no problem,i'm not sayin' they can stand on the side,but they can lean over and watch the other play a fish or net a fish.if it's 48 in the floor and not grossly over weighted it should be pretty stable.

4. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    (48 at top) ,,,,MINES not bad for me by myself ,,until I stand up to wiz ,or get the front ancher, or wake from other boats. I mainly use it as a creek runner ,,and hit the bank somewhere..but would like to do some open water crappie jigging in the spring.

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have seen 6-10 inch pvc "pontoons" mounted on them before...:eek:oooh:

never had any problems in our 48 with stability though

6. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    yeah mine is 48 in the floor.like jeffro said,i've seen pontoons put on the before,using pvc.that would stabilize it.

7. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio

Thanx guys ,,,,
    Maybe I could make'm like air tanks ,crank about 400 psi into each ,with a pressure valve in the back ,,,yeah,,,save on gas.

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

foam filled...that way you can beat the hell out of them..high pressure trapped in pvc is a pipe bomb waiting to explode...:wink:lots of fun...loooong air hose...or solenoid valve....and long wire

9. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thats a good idea

10. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    maybe putting a 1/2 treated plywood floor in it would help