Flat Back Canoes???

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Dec 20, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Am seriously considering buying a flat back canoe off a friend. I wanna know what you all think about them. This one is in the 12-14ft. range. I plan on putting a 45 pound thrust trolling motor behind it, and it will be used for various applications. Probably be loaded on my other boat and used for bait placements on lakes at night, will be used to access spots on smaller streams hopefully to bankfish from. So how would a 12-14 ft. flatback do with two guys in it, with minimal gear of course. And will probably get used to do some squirrel hunting out of. All opinions are welcome. I have never owned a canoe. I have a small jon boat that I use where it is feesible. But, a light weight boat like a canoe, esp. when im by myself might be alittle easier. I am getting lazy, and weaker as you can tell! LOL:big_smile: Or maybe, just smarter as in terms of planning in my older years:roll_eyes: Appreciate all opinions... rollo

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    A friend had one that we fished out of, did good on the river. I don't remember how powerful his trolling motor was. It would push us against a fair current. It was 14', we both weighted about 190 and had a tackle bag and small ice chest. The only thing I didn't like was hauling it.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What do you mean, loading, and unloading to haul I take it? I am looking for an easier drag with gear. Esp if I have a friend. Shouldn't be as bad to drag it like the small jon boat I have with gear. rollo

4. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    I was talking about hauling it in a pickup. Once we got it to where we were fishing it was easy to carry. The battery was about the heaviest thing we had. He finally built a rack to go on his pickup, then it was easy to haul.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ok, thanks man....rollo

6. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've been debating one of those too. It'll handle a lot of gear, much more than a flat bottom jon of the same length. The one I was looking at was 16' I think, and rated for 1000lbs of people/gear. Most small jon's are rated for 500lb max (portable jon's, that it). You'll have to remember that it'll ride lower in the water than a flat bottom boat will, and lateral stability may not be as good as the jon (meaning, don't stand up in it). I don't really plan to fish out of it, I just want something to move on the river, from hole to hole, then beach it while I fish that area.

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    depending on the size truck you have and the bed size they aren't that bad to me...i have a 15 foot jon boat i stick out of the back of my truck bed, and a canoe would be no differnt. i have fished some out of one, the big thing is they tip easier than a jon boat, so stay low and you'll be good. a 40 couple lb trolling motor would be good IMO... good luck let us know how it goes

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have a 15'9 flatback (scanoe is what they are called), as a previous post stated a canoe will hold way more weight than a small jon boat. i'd say most i have had in mine was 3 people at 650lb total (i alone weigh 280!), plus add at least another 200lb for gear, poles, chairs, bait tank, coolers, etc to either cross the river or go downstream to spots. mind you we werent going through any heavy current or riffles with all that crap!:crazy: only had a trolling motor and battery in it once so far and it really scooted with that motor. i just use paddles mostly, got the canoe at a yard sale for $100. only drawbacks to scanoes vs a canoes is that flat back tends to create a little "drag" when paddling. i can cut water much faster in a regular canoe. also with having that flat back you have to be careful going through big riffles and heavy current. if that water catches up with you and the back doesnt rise quick enough the water is coming UP and OVER.

seen some duck hunters once on the lower GMR with what looked to be a 17ft scanoe with what looked to be a 15hp motor on it! man that thing was a MISSILE! i do think the only thing on the water were the prop and about the last 6 inches of the canoe!!

all the flatbacks i have seen have had those "stabilizing" ribs goind down the side of the canoe which makes them more stable to fish out of. as with all canoes, the more weight the more stable they become.

9. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Sounds like a good idea. Maybe put the battery in a back pack to make it easy to carry

10. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    He had a big tool box in the back of his pickup and there was not enough room to get enough of the canoe in to tie it. That made for some interesting fishing trips.

11. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I've got a Scanoe and a 30 lb trolling motor. I wouldn't take it on the Mississippi but in the smaller rivers around here it will scoot, even upstream.

It's pretty stable and a lot more comfortable than a bench-seat jon boat.

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im not worried as much how it will go up current im thinking more down. Sorry about the grammar. tuff when the boy wants involved now lol rollo ...........past bed time we are fighting here. Kids pullin at dad now . night rollo

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I don't know about a flatback, but I got a regular canoe in storage.... 16 feet I think, weighs about 45 pounds, some strange material, not aluminuminuminuminum, has a trolling motor. Not for sale but you could use it a few times to see if you like before buying one.

14. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi

Well, if you go downstream you better have some sort of way to get back up!
    :roll_eyes: