Flashlights - What kind of flashlight do you use going to your Deer Stand?

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by Kutter, Aug 20, 2007.

What do you use to and from your stand in the dark?

1. Regular flashlight/Mini Maglight

2. LED Red

3. LED Green

4. LED White

5. Stylus Red

6. Stylus Green

7. Stylus White

8. Headlamp Red

9. Headlamp Green

10. Headlamp White

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Going to & from your stand in the dark, what do you use?
    You can use more than one option.

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I mark the trail in with those little reflective thumbtacks, and use a small, red led light...the kind you can clip onto the bill of your cap. Works great!

3. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I use a regular 6 volt you can buy at Wally World for about $3.50. But I carry a mini lite in my pocket just for backup. I have dropped lights out of lockons when it was so dark you couldn't see your feet. Then thats trouble.

4. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i use a small green light to go to the stand, but have 2 of the surefire lights for tracking and any other needs.

5. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i know i will be the odd-ball, but i hate using a flashlight in the woods. its a personal head issue i guess. the problem is you can only see for a small area around yourself, but you can be seen by something or someone else from a long ways off. when i absolutely have to i use a small led light (cloudy-no moon) and if i am trailing one after dark i like an all out spotlight. 9 times out of 10 though, i cant stand light in the woods.

just me i guess.

j.d.

6. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Regular flashlight for me :wink:

7. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I mainly just use one of those clip on lights for your hat. They produce enough light to see where I'm going....keeps my hands free also. I usually get to my deer stands by boat and stands are usually less than fifty yards from the water. I'll go back and get a bigger light if needed when looking for a down deer after dark.

8. jpn

jpn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    on my own property i don't use any light whatso ever safe or not ive been here 36 yrs and don't need it or want it. On other property i use a streamlight, the same little rechargable that every other fireman or cop carries. i agree you need a light now adays but havent gotten used to it yet

9. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    I use those ones that go on your entire head with about 4-5 leds. Cheaper and batt last longer. i use them evry time I go night fishing or when I use to go set nets for Lobster. Out of my hand and light whereever I look.

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Got a mini mag in my fanny pack that works for tracking game after dark at times. But when it comes to walking in and out of the stand I prefer a bigger light. Wider beam led white or even a reg. flashlight for safety reasons.

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I try not to use a light, which leaves me in the dusk most of the times. But I carry a Pelican "Stealthlite" in my hunting pack, and a Mini Mag on my belt with my Leatherman. The Pelican is a 4AA unit that puts out much more light than one would think. They are pricey, but worth every bit in the dark, and take up very lil room in the pack.

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I rarely use a flashlight but I carry a small head flashlight, 3 led lights I think. I know my hunting spots pretty well but sometimes the woods get a little too dark and Ill pull it out. Edge of the woods or fields I dont use a flashlight. I like the small head light because you can cup it in your hands to limit the amount of light but Im sure it still sticks out like a sore thumb.

13. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I don't use a light myself either. If needed I have an small green led thats clips to your hat.

14. JTR

JTR New Member

State:
    virginia
    I don't use a light going in or comming out. It's a mind over matter thing, just walk slow and careful and you will gat the feel of it.

15. CatfishJohn.612

CatfishJohn.612 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use a little green LED clip on that goes on my hat for coming and going to the stand. For tracking I use a Stinger I keep in my pack for that.

16. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Boy, Steamlight better fix their image problem with their Stylus line. Looks like nobody likes them enough to vote them on the poll.

17. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just use my streamlight stinger. I take it off my duty belt, and put it in my hunting pack. It's rechargable and I don't have to buy batteries. I've got a charger at home and in my truck.

I usually don't need it to get to my stands though, just have it there if needed at the end of the day on the way out back to the truck. Got lazy and got a 4 wheeler now, so I guess I'll just use it's headlights!LOL

18. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i use a browning led flashlight. it has 2 blue leds, 2 red leds and 2 white, if i absolutely have to use it i will, but other than that i dont use light at all. the red is sopossed to keep game from spotting the light which may or may not work, so i dont take a chance, the blue is sopossed to keep you from losing nightvison, which does work because ive tried it before and i can still see fine after i turn the light off. the white leds are good for after dark tracking of bloodtrails, pretty bright for only 2 leds so in a survival situation would be more than enough to see from a long distance.. so i have all my lighting situations covered with just one small flashlight.

19. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I don't ;ike to use a light, I can see good in the dark, and I know where every body is, so I don't worry about gettin shot. Now if it's worm out, and snakes are still out, I'll use one.

It amazes me how close a deer will let you get to em in the dark.

20. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well depends if the wife goes or not, me none usually, with her, the two on the front of the Grizzly 660...:crazy: sometimes still not sure if thats enough!

Also not trying to hijack yer thread Kutter, I have one of the "Tracking" lites for the blood trails, do any of yall use one? I have seen and used 3 different brands and well hate to say it, but the cheap one from wally world worked as good for 1/4 price.