Flamm City, Lower St Louis

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by TeamWhiskers, May 11, 2007.

1. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The Flamm City ramp is under water by about 2 feet currently for those who put in Lower St Louis. Glad I checked the ramp first. I almost went fishing today.

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I thought about going out today, I've been checking the boatramp at Rush Island all week, and it seemed that the river was slowly dropping. The last time I checked it was Wednesday morning, which it was about the level it was at Friday. I checked it again this morning, and wow, I couldn't even get past the railroad tracks hardly. It has come up that much in a day and a half. I guess no more fishing for me until it drops.:sad2:

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I was at the the Alton Dam today and the parking lot was closed due to it being under water! I went further north on the Miss. and launched, I caught nothing while my 3 year old daughter caught a small drum on a worm!!:big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: I've been out fished by my 3 year old!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They always out fish us bill.. That is because we are too busy untangling their lines, baiting their hooks, taking off fish etc etc... Sighhhh now I know how my dad felt atleast all those years.

5. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Bill, it takes a big man to admit that. :smile2: Those kids sure are rife with good luck, aren't they?

On the other extreme, my nearly-deaf grandfather used to SLAY all sorts of fish on the ozark streams and rivers we used to fish. All the while he'd be yelling at me asking if I needed more worms and laughing loudly as he drops a pole into the water etc, not exactly the stuff that's conducive to successful fishing...but those fish didn't care. He'd be stuffing fish into his pockets to take home with him. :) Then grandma would find them on laundry day. :tounge_out: Good memories.

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Yeah you're right Vince I was trying to get my poles ready while she was constantly reeling her line in saying "Dad, Dad I got one, I got one!" Each time I had to try and explain to her that she needed to let it sit out there for a little while so the fish could find it...then finally she really did "I got one"!!! It was so funny, she was so excited, she screamed and carried on and kept saying how cute that fish was and how she was so proud!!!! I got quite the chuckle:lol: :lol: It was a moment I hope I never to forget!! Little did she know just how proud I was!

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    That there is what it's all about.

8. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    It is a big deal to fish with your kids though. Some how, it doesn't seem to matter that "fishing with your kids" actually means in real life something like “dad watching for problems while child catches fish." Ha!

Taking kids out opens up more "permissive leeway" to get out. I can hear my wife saying "take those kids out of the house, go anywhere, do anything, I need a break!. If you can bear to change your pace to be much slower and smaller, taking the kids out is great on increasing the outdoor time and killing the cabin fever.

It is a right of passage too. I can not wait to take out my 3 year old. I got her a setup for her birthday. I went into Wally World and looked over the yellow and pink kids tackle box and rod setups. They simply would not do. So... I bought her a $15 Berkley rod (because a 3 foot rod with princesses on it was not adequate for the larger species that we will target –bullhead for instance do not like princesses), a Diawa reel (with brass gears for the super-sized sunfish we will catch), a big 2 level Plano box, and about $30 of colorful worms, lizards, beads, bobbers, bells, swivels, and other non pokie trinkets (daddy holds onto the hooks). I also got her a whistle and a tiny flashlight for make believe night fishing.

Now, on special days, she gets to take down the box, out it on the kitchen table, and line up all the plastics by color. She loves it! And, when she gets a bit bigger, we are heading down to Bush Wildlife to try out some of the stuff.
    I will post some of the pics when we go.
    CP

9. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Take a kid fishing.. The memories will last a lifetime! It is really that simple. Take them out for bluegills, we can always use them for bait. Skip jacks are just as much fun if you really get into them.

I took Tyler from the Mickey poles right into the open faced at 6. Don’t do it! They can handle it at 8, but not at 6 yet. Chris has the right idea as you can then progress them into the more complicated rods and reels. Take 2 rods just for them. If you get a rats nest, just hand them another one to keep them in the water. It will keep you busy as I have been skunked many times that somehow makes them feel better..

I have found to set them up with a 2/0 circle hook for catfish. They pretty much hook themselves as we learned this last year at his first tournament. Maybe we can all attend this one in Sept as Ill keep my eyes out when it is.

10. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I think we all can say a big thank-you to those who took us on our first trips to the lakes and rivers of our youths. For some of us, those folks aren't around anymore -- and for those who are, we owe them a trip back out. One good turn deserves another.

The future of our sport relies upon our generations to teach those who are next in line. These lessons will shape the policies and practices of conservation and will pave the way for successful fishing for generations to come.

11. unclebill85

unclebill85 New Member

State:
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    My 3 yr old son LOVES to fish!! There is something about taking him fishing when he yells, "DAD, I caught a tree..." Looking up in a tree only to see his line somehow wrapped around one limb 10 times!!

How do you get a 3 year old to catfish with ya? I would love to hear some of your pointers!

12. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Take along plenty of snacks, 2 poles for him and a gallon of patience. Best to really start them out sunfishing with a bobber so they can get the hang of it all. Take a plain bagel with you to throw out little pieces if necessary to chum them if they are not biting.
    I took a piece of a stick and put an "o" ring bolt in it so they could learn to cast in the back yard. If you are using one of those little rubber fish things, put on a 3/0 snap swivel to it as the driveway will wear on the mono and come off after a few casts is also good advice.

13. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The river looks like it needs to go down another 3 foot roughly. Some of the parking lot is still under water as of yesterday.