Flam City Fishing

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Manny, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Went out last night at Flam City, Put in at 7:00 pm and fished till 1:00 am.
    Caught 2 dinks on Sonnys and two 2.5/ 3 lbs. on fresh cut chad. Had one about 12:00 am break my line near boat, he slammed it then pulled drag felt big but dont they all. Also 1 soft shell turtle of decent size.

I know the Meramec is not the best for fishing but its close for me and im still learning. Going out again tonight a little earlier to try to catch bait. Just purchased a throw net. I was lucky enough to recieve a smallhandful of shad last night from someone leaving earlier for the small price of a couple of Millers.:big_smile:

Probably would of fished longer but had an Arnold cop stop by to tell me the park closes after dark. Hmmmm I never had been told that before and their was still two other boats out their but they were out of sight.:embarassed:

He wont find me next time. He told me that if im going to be here after dark that i need to inform the Police Dept. :confused2:

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Really? Well, now isn't that interesting. (Sorry, the old cop in me loves it when I find a cop who doesn't know the law)

Current law as told to me by the Water Patrol is that the MO Conservation owns the park, but the city of Arnold manages it. MO Conservation rules apply. In those rules, you must leave the park before dark IF you are not using the park for launching or are fishing. This rule is there so they can run out folks sitting around partying. I can only assume that the cop took you for a party'er and not a fisherman.:wink:

There is no rule for calling ahead of time. Some folks do that I guess, but I haven't.

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Incidently, two members here (Stlcaman & Spiral Downfall) went out there at Flam City around 10 pm and spent the night on the river. I got a text message around 5:30 this morning saying they had caught a 10, a 20 & a 36 lb bluecats.

4. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    It was a nice night out there for sure. I have heard of other people having trouble with this kind of thing in other areas but Kutter is correct. As long as you are using the area for fishing either from the bank or from a boat then the area is open 24 hrs a day. I have talked to a few officers there in the wee hours and have never had a problem. Probably just a guy having a bad night or just doesn't know the rules yet. The bite has slowed down and we managed 4 fish and lost 2. Here is a pic of the 36.

[​IMG]

5. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    hey kutter their is know way the officer took me as a partyer i was tied off to the bank with lights on boat fishing. i think he was just as u said having a bad night.

I have fished their many of times and waved to cops going buy, with no problem. I do think its good that they watch the area. To keep out the vandilism.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I'm afraid I couldn't have let him off that easy. My wife once was told by a Dupo officer that he could take her to jail just for driving through his town with out-of-state plates. I called his Chief not to make a big deal out of it, but to let him know what his officer had said. He backed his officer!
    I gave him my name, address, age and a complete description of my car. I then told him I would be in front of his PD in 20 minutes with my out of state plates. I begged him to come out and arrest me! I dared him to arrest me! As it turned out, I wasn't arrested, even though by honking my horn solidly for 15 minutes, he could have arrested me for disorderly conduct. I could see a bunch of folks looking out the window, but the only one who came out was the Mayor. He asked me what my problem was & I told him. He shook his head and left. A few weeks later, both the chief and one of his officers got fired. I have no idea why, but assume somebody finally had enough.
    Another time, I was pulled over for speeding. When I told him I was going 25 mph in a 30 mph zone. He told me the zone had been changed a few weeks earlier to a 20 mph zone. I showed him the sign was still 30. He told me they hadn't had a chance to change the signs yet!!!!!! I honestly found myself begging for a ticket. I just had to get that one in front of a judge. No matter how hard I begged, he insisted he was going to let me off easy with a warning.

Damn, I am sorry. I know 99% of law enforcement is good and doing the best they can. I just can't handle that other 1% that should never be allowed to wear a badge. I've been there. I was a training officer. I taught at the Academy. I have been a Patrol Sargent and a Shift Commander. Of course I know that it takes time for officers to learn the law, I trained them. They did learn or I got rid of them, plain & simple. I expected excellence out of all my officers, and I got it. My most proudest accomplishment in Law Enforcement, was when I decided to get out, every single one of my officers tried to get me to stay.

Sorry for the rant, my patience has worn thin in my old age.:wink:

7. medic442

medic442 New Member

State:
    lonedell mo
    Hey Kutter, where were you a copper at? Been doing the hookin and bookin thing myself for a little bit!

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Oh, my days are long gone. I was in Texas, down Ft Worth way.

9. medic442

medic442 New Member

State:
    lonedell mo
    i did a little time out franklin county way and now im up in jennings, the knife and gun club of north county... lol lol lol

how did you make it from tx all the way up here??

10. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I couldn't agree more. There are jerks in every profession, but when you are around a bad police officer it is worse