Flagging Jugs How To

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by johnpotter777, Aug 10, 2006.

1. johnpotter777

johnpotter777 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ok here is how i make my flagging jugs, it is simple take a piece of 10 in swimming noodle and 20 inches of 1 inch pvc, throw a four inch piece of 3/4 rebar in the pvc, insert into noodle, cap it , insert an eye and then put on 65-70 feet of line and rig er up, there is nothing like seeing these babys dance on the water, took the wife and sister inlaw fishing the other night, and before we had 20 out three were already running. I love it , hope this helps some people.

Attached Files:

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Any ideas on how I can get the rebar cut to length? These city folk around here don't have cutting torches. and neither do I?

3. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I had the same problem cutting rebar. I ended up using enough gravel to equal the weight of the rebar.

Also, several people recommend putting some type of padding between the rebar and the screweye to keep the rebar from eventually knocking the screweye out.

4. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hey John, I like that Avatar. I thought of one like that but was chicken.

I tried cutting rebar with 3 foot bolt cutters. It chipped the jaws.

Round iron stock would probably work and it can be cut with a hacksaw.

Robert

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Good post john would puting sand in place of rebar work:lol: You can buy precut rebar at Lowes i bought some at a vew weeks ago not to bad a price I forgot how mutch:001: :big_smile:

6. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Don't ya'll have a saw z all?? You could heat it up with a propane tourch. But you would be there for awhile!

Josh

7. johnpotter777

johnpotter777 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
  8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Got the basics, handtools, circular saw jig saw, a level. But, the sand or gravel idea sounds good. I've also seen lead weights at the Academy that are about the size of the rebar you talk about and cost about 59 cents apiece. Gets expensive if you make a bunch, but you may get two jugs out of a piece or more. Besides, I fish from a kayak, so don't have much room, can't carry more than maybe 7 or 8 noodle jugs.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would recommend you definetly do not use sand. Just the condensation inside the pipe will get the sand damp/wet and it won't slide anywhere to flag the jug. Rebar can be cut with a hacksaw. Don't want to go to a lot of expense, just get a hacksaw blad, wrap 4 to 5 inches with electical tape and start cutting. Best thing is 2 or 3 ounce bank sinkers. They work real good.

10. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would agree that sand is not a good idea. I think I can get away with my gravel because its made up of pretty good sized pieces of rock and much less likely to get caked up somehow like sand could. I also give the jug a good shaking before I place it in the river so I know the weight of the gravel is spread evenly throughout the PVC. I would have gone with the storebought weights had I not been tired of spending money on making the jugs!
    As for if they flag 100% of the time a fish is on the linedoesn't really matter to me because I am as happy with a fish off a bobbin jug as I am a fish off a jug that is still lying on its side like I left it.

11. jwasted

jwasted New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Neat I think I am going to try this.

12. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    John, I made some flaggers this year and as long as I was close to them I could keep an eye on them. But when they flag evev though I was within a 1/2 mile of them fishing they had them picked up and gone with them before
    we could get there. I am making 20 more of the non flags for when I anchor them and will use the flagging juglines for when I am with them drifting. Every fisherman in sight runs them.
    Bill

13. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Fellas you can go to any machine shop and they will cut the rebar for you or round bar. They also have scrap bins and will let you pick out what you want for free if not for a couple dollars. Any welding shop or welder will cut them for free or next to nothing (although I would offer to pay them something). Another choice is two 3/4 oz egg sinkers. Weights from a old cast net. There are good plans on here to build the flagging jugs and I have a set of plans on mine that I will gladly email anyone if they pm me with their email, I will gladly send them to ya. For weighted jugs the bottom weights can be Window weights, 1" rebar with 1 link of chain welded on the top, 20 oz coke bottles with the tops cut off and filled with concrete, half a brick, etc.... I recommend a 2 lb weight... Seems to help get the hook set when they pull on it...

14. johnpotter777

johnpotter777 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Unfortunately the truth is yes people will run these, it is sad that there can not be more honor amongst fishermen.