flag protocol

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ok, i have to ask, since i know there are many here who know. a few days before the 4th of july i like to put an american flag on my front gate. i have to use wire/zip ties to keep it on in the wind. i also like to leave it up for a couple of weeks after the 4th.
    my question is: is a flag on the side of a building or fence, or other structure subject to the same rules as flying a flag?

my flag stays up 24/7 'til i take it down. a flag pole has the mechanism to put it up and take it down every day.

am i disrespecting the flag treating it as i do?

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Phil, here's the guidelines for displaying our flag.

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    The only thing i know is that if your flying the Flag 24/7 ..It need's to be lit up at nite with some sort of light source shinning on it.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I know there are rules, but I must agree with AJ & Gary on this. It's the respect in your heart that means more than a protocol. I hung up my flag the day we went to war in Afghanistan, and until both our boys return, it will stay up. When it starts looking a bit worn, I buy a new one to hang. One of these days I need to get the box out and pass those old flags to the area Boy Scouts. They are always ready to dispose of them properly for us.