Flag Half Staff

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by MRR, Jan 17, 2007.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :confused2: How long are we suppose to leave our flags at Half Staff for Former President Gerald Ford. I've heard different things so don't know for sure.Mine is at half staff so need to know. News hasn't said, far as I know so help me out please.Thank You.

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Here is a site that explains it
    http://www.usflag.org/nffhalfstaff.html

FLYING THE FLAG AT HALF-STAFF: The pertinent section of the Flag Code says, "by order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possesion, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that state, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff." The code also includes other related details including the specific length of time during which the flag should be displayed at half-staff, in the event of the death of a "principal figure"(e.g., 30 days for the death of a sitting or former President, 10 days for the death of a sitting Vice-President,etc.).

3. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i think it is 30 days. i have forgotten all the flag rules. they are different for private flags and i have been wondering where you can look for the correct way to fly the flag. back in the boy scouts i learned it all but have forgotten.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    30 Days.

The flag is first raised to its highest point, then lowered. :wink:

5. moore42420

moore42420 New Member

State:
    Henderson, KY
    Here in KY it is 30 days and that is until sunset on January 25.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thank for for the info on the date. I was thinking it was 30 days but didn't know when the 30 days was up. Now I know.
    And before I forget to tell you WELCOME to THE BOC FAMILY!!

7. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
  8. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is the proclamation:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/12/20061227-1.html

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, in honor and tribute to the memory of Gerald R. Ford, and as an expression of public sorrow, do hereby direct that the flag of the United States be displayed at half-staff at the White House and on all buildings, grounds, and Naval vessels of the United States for a period of 30 days from the day of his death. I also direct that for the same length of time, the representatives of the United States in foreign countries shall make similar arrangements for the display of the flag at half-staff over their Embassies, Legations, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and stations.

9. moore42420

moore42420 New Member

State:
    Henderson, KY
    Here in Kentucky the governers office has a link of when the state building have to lower their flags. I have to monitor it for work. You might want to check to see if your state has the same kind of program.

Kentucky Flag Status