Fixing this Livewell

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Bigones, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ok brothers I need some suggestions on how to fix this livewell. I bought a Taho-Rig Livewell at a garage sell for 20 bucks. The thing is to get it to fit under the deck I built I had to cut a piece off each side of it. I now need to refill the holes. What do yall suggest? I was thinking about fiberglassing it but not sure how never have before. Here is some pics of what it looks like. It is made of plastic.

Attached Files:

2. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Maybe a piece of plastic cut to fit and attached with some 3M marine sealant??? That's probably how I would tacke it first if I were doing it. Nice find though!!! You probably know how much them things cost new. Congrats

3. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ya buddy I couldn't believe it when I seen it. It was sitting in a boat he had for sell and I asked if he would be willing to sell just the livewell. I offered him 20 bucks and he said its yours. Where could someone pick up a piece of plastic that would work. Somewhere like lowes?

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Fiberglass will not work at all with plastic, I've tried it. There are special epoxy glues on the market so you could glue pieces of plastic to it but not so sure where to get the stuff.

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    find a plastic supply company in your local yellow pages take that with you and they can cut you out a couple of pieces to work and recomend the proper glues the marine sealant wouldnt last long enough to bother with use a epoxy to seal it there are several good ones out there and the plastic supply place should be able to direct you to the right stuff.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm not sure I understand just how that's going to fit into the spot you have picked for it, but it sounds to me like the cut-off areas are going to be right up against something. Is that right? If so, whatever it's up against will provide support to the patches, so you don't have to be so concerned with strength. In that case, you could probably patch it with plexiglas and a good sealant. But plexiglas is prone to cracking, so if you aren't sure about the support, you might want to use Lexan. It costs about 3 times as much, but absolutely won't crack. Some glass repair places carry it.

7. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man I bought some plexiglass and there is no way that I can see how its going to work. I need something that is very flexable. What do yall think about a couple thick pieces of rubber epoxyed to it? I just don't see how I can get plastic to work It almost would have to be molded cause of the shape.

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    You need to find plastic like that plastic. I have a large blue kerosine jug made out of that material that could be cut to fit pieces. I think lowes / home depot sells them. Plastic epoxy is the only thing i know of that will work and hold up to water.

9. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There we go thanks Tom I bet that would work cause that will bend more to a shape I can do something with. Thanks brother

10. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    cut a piece of plastic, and silicone it to it.

11. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Tim,

Looks like rotomolded polyethyylene. I think this stuff can be friction welded. If you're in Dayton, there's a place in Springfiled that makes corrosive handling equipment that might be able to help you - I'll look for the comapny name tomorrow at work. A good plastics supply house might also do this.

I can't tell what you cut off, but you might try taking the pieces and switching sides, letting them project inside the tank and using them as the patches. Or, maybe a little artful application of aluminum sheet, RTV, and sheetmetal screws to seal up the edges.

Dennis