Fixing leaking 16' jon boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by jbr18, Oct 29, 2006.

1. jbr18

jbr18 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Hello, I bought a 16' riveted v hull jon boat a week ago and it leaks a little bit, i already rehit the rivets, but is there some kind of two part expoxy or something to paint the bottom to stop leaks? Also, how fast do yall think it will go with a 25 hp on it? Thanks

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I once had an aluminium boat which kept on leaking after I banged the heck out of the rivets. Finally, in an act of desperation, I got out the water hose and filled the darn thing up. Took about 1/2 hour but I finally found it was leaking where the aluminum was seamed together, not at the rivets. Just got some good marine grade sealer and sealed the joints inside and out. You may want to do the same thing and mark all your leaks so you can fix them at one time. Have no idea how fast a 25HP will push it, but are you sure you want to go that fast in a leaking boat. LOL

3. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Yes, last summer I had to repair a few jon boats at work, and it was this two-paste system, one looked kinda like peanut butter and the other white peanut butter, mixed em and paste over the hole....I can't exactly remember the name though, sorry. They came in jars, too, if that helps.

4. Koda

Koda New Member

State:
    Tombstone,AZ
    Hello jbr18,
    I just bought a 1948 16' Lone Star and have to replace a bunch of rivets after searching the web I found this material and it is expensive but it covers several square feet and you would only use it on the seams and such there are several websites that carry it some cheaper than others but this will give you a place to start, I am planning on replaceing the old rivets then go over the seams and rivets with this material called Gluvit
    Luck Koda

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=21247F

http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...tory=jd2mtyp3|other|freeText~Gluvit^page~GRID

5. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    if you can find a good welding shop that would probally be your best bet i tried the apoxy stuff a few years ago and ended up removing it and welding all the seams again never leaked after that

6. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    This topic comes up on waterfowl site i'm on and most of the suggestions is getting a spray on or roll on rinoliner or a simmular type product

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If it just to cover rivets you may want to look at Marine tech are aluma weld. marine tech is the better of the two IMO

8. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I got a 16 foot flatbottem jon with a 25 hp it cruises along between 20-27mph

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i have 16' but my motor is 40hp it has got up to 32 before according to my gps . a friend has a bass tracker aluminum with a 25hp 16' it gets up to 27 with two people when runing good . my boat also leaks it takes on about a gallon an hour depending on how i run , most of the rivets towards the front leak . im thinking of haveing it welded and rhino lining it .

10. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I have a alum. 16 ' semi V crestliner Jon type with a 25 horse Mercery it will do 36 mph when by my self according to my x107 lowrance with mph.

11. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    do a web search for HTS-2000 brazing rod,the best stuff out to fix a leaking tin boat

jerry

12. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Be sure and ask the welding shop if they have ever fixed a boat. Especially if it is the light aluminum like .070 or .080. This light material takes a lot of care to weld correctly. If you have a city lake or park that rents Jon boats ask them where they get thier boats repaired. I did this and it lead me to a welding shop that had one guy working there that had repaired 100's of light hull boats. He welded a crack and several rivets and it looked like a factory job.

Of course most boats these days have welds that look like a high school shop class built them.

LOL

13. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I had an old boat that i took to a welding shop and they welded every rivet and seam on the boat. it took them about 30 minutes and charge me accordingly, it was alot cheaper than buyin those epoxies and payin shippin and handlin charges. plus i didnt have to use elbow grease:smile2:

14. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i would take it to a shop if it was me.

15. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
  16. 710split

710split New Member

State:
    iowa
    I had an old Lowe 16' riveted jon boat with 2 leaks at 2 different times.
    The first time, the boat didn't leak a drop after filling it with water on the trailer. It turned out that the pressure on the inside sealed the 3 bad rivets but during normal boating, the water came in through the rivets. We "resealed" the rivets with a punch and the rivets are still bone dry after 4 years.
    The second time, a screw wore a small hole through the bottom of the boat. The paint was cleaned off both sides and some JB Weld was applied to both the inside and outside. This fix has held for 3 years. A good welder could have sealed this hole, but I would a blown open a bigger hole.

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Larger outboards and speed causes most leaks in Aluminum boats.It is the vibration and pounding from ripples to waves at the higher speeds.The same model boats that will often leak with a large motor in one season will last for generations with a small one.I am 61.I have seen this in boats since the early 50's.They get better,but it still happens.Once you glue or epoxy a place,it is often a lot harder to get a decent weld on it in the future due to contamination.If you are thinking weld,try it first.I am talking from experience as a boater and a welder.peewee-williams

18. gillfish

gillfish New Member

State:
    California
    I removed the middle seat out of my 16 footer and filled all of the rivet holes with aluma weld and have never had a problem. So, depending on how serious the leaks are, it's an inexpensive fix. Good Luck Gillfish

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Had a 14' aluminium jon boat that a tornado grabbed a hold of... after the ride, the boat was dumped about a quarter mile from the house. Only damage was in the very stern where a weld of about 6 inches had ripped loose. Insurance company was gonna give me $10.00 for the boat and keep it. Told them to forget it... ticked me off big time. I took it to a shop and paid $15.00 to have it welded (quite a while ago in time lol). Used the boat for years and years. Good thing about aluminium... it don't really rot out like the wood in fiberglass does over time.

20. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    bass pro or cabelas has a special patch kit for aluminum boats. all u need is a torch or cig lighter to heat it up and place on the spots that leak. It is pretty cheap and the reviews for it were great. They also said that it will cover more area than u would think. It comes in stick form and costs only like $6-$10