Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I saved all my broken rods, never know when a part comes in handy. On a 5 section telescopic rod the 4th section broke just below the guide. I found another rod that had a section that would fit inside it. I used epoxy glue inside and out on the repaired spot. I had called B&M for a replacement section. Not spending $33 on a $8 rod.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m with you on repairing and using spare parts for broken poles. I had a couple guys giving me crap saying it’s junk just buy another one. Another guy was complaining that I fished with a broken tip pole while waiting for née tips to come in. I guess some people have too much money or too little sense. If I can fix it, I’m gonna keep that money in my pocket and fish on.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I don't see why they cared what you were fishing with...personally as long as you ain't casting over me or otherwise making my day difficult you can fish with a broomstick with paperclip guides wrapped in electrical tape and we can get along just fine 😂

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
I am not one that will fish with junk. Now repairing a rod by putting on a new tip does not make the rod junk. If done correctly and if there was't too much of the rod broken off, it will not lose any of the flex it started with. I also worked hard enough for over a life time so I could buy what I want. It most likely will not be the most expensive rod available but it will be one I am convinced will do what I need it to do. If I ran around to every yard sale or auction to find the rod I actually wanted, I would spend more in gas money that if I just went out and bought the new rod I wanted. But is someone really enjoys yard sales and auctions, he might find a really good deal on occasion.

Keep in mind that there is a big difference on fishing for gills or eater sized channel cats and fishing for trophy sized blues and flatheads.

Now when it comes to reel, they are a little different. you can buy used reels and end up with a quality item. Now even with reels, I won't buy junk but you can find good deals on older Abu Garcias or even Penns that are I good shape. Or that with a couple of inexpensive parts, can be as good as new.

It all depends on how much running around you are willing to do ---- OR --- how much you are willing to spend to get the equipment you want. I know I am going to get what I want and I am sure Spokey is going to get what he wants. So it is like Spokey said. If your happy with what you use, I will be tickled pink for ya.

·
Registered
74 Posts
One of my prime targets at yard sales,barn sales ,auctions besides gun gears is fishing gear,I always lookfor old Mitchells and old poles ,lures etc.Old good stuff was made much better than new good stuff and due to people’s propensity for buying the newest and brightest monkey bait you can find old good stuff at good prices,not so much at auctions because collectors lurk there often ,but not always ,but yard sales ,barn sales and garage sales and early birds get the worms.poles,reels,knives even guns depending on your state,and nowadays Ammo or components is offered at real good prices. I just got 15 lbs of lead for $5 a week ago with some older Craftsman tools thrown in. I find more good reels than decent rods though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m with you there. I’m always looking. For deals when I’m out at yard sales and the like. I love some of the old reels tht I find. With just a little clean up they usually perform great. And I hate to throw something away so I’m always fixing stuff rather than buying new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts