Fixing an abu 5000

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by RiverKing, Apr 19, 2007.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Anyone know how to work on Abu's?? It will not reel at all, i dont know whats wrong with it, i took it apart and dont even know if I have it together correctly..If anyone is interested in fixing it, I will pay to have it shipped out and pay you to fix it also..It is about 5 yrs old, but I like the reel..Let me know if you can help me out.

2. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Are you sure the star drag is tight? Just a thought, did that a couple of times myself.

3. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Yeah and thats another thing, the drag wont move at all either, and when i say it wont reel, i mean the handle wont even move when you try to turn it.

4. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Can you turn the drag back toward you, or to the left as you face the star drag. If not, take the handle off, little screw near the center, then the protective cap, then loosen the nut and remove the e-clip. Then back the drag off and see if the handle will turn.

5. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
  6. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Im not sure, i will try that.

7. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Mom handed me one one time that wouldn't turn. The tension cap was unscrewed and sticking up into the star drag wheel. You probably checked for something that simple, but that's what it was that time.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    did ya get it fixed yet?

9. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    is it just the level wind not moving? is the spool turning at all? it could be a number of things worm gear could be striped or it could be something simple like the paw is worn out.hope you get it woked out.

10. polecatter

polecatter Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Matt,
    My guess would be (without seeing the reel) the pawl may not properly engaged in the levelwind and therefore locking the reel. Remove the pawl and see if the handle will turn.

Larry (polecatter)
    Keep On Castin.....Cattin!

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Matt,
    There is all kinds of good info in the library to clean,lube and fix the abu's. If not,there is a guy that owns a tackle shop close to me that charges like $6 to clean and lube the reels. I usually clean my own,that should tell you how easy it is to do it. Good Luck with it!!!