Fixing a stock on the cheap?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by derbycitycatman, Jul 30, 2007.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Im not real interested on keeping this gun in perfect condition or anything just want it to be safe. Last year I had the swivel stud pull out of the stock on my 30/06. Ive been told I can just use wood filler to fill it in than screw the stud back in. Will this work and can I count on it being safe to use a sling with???

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Brian,Heres what I would do . Drill the hole out to say 3/8 or so ,then epoxy a short piece of hardwood dowel rod in the hole. After its dry reset the swivel stud ;good as new.

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Ditto above message but remember to drill a pilot hole slightly smaller than the swivel screw so you don't split the dowel insert.

4. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Those are some good ideas. If it was me after repairing it I would drill a hole in another place, 1/2 inch one way or another. I take it by your post that it was in the butt of the stock. If it is on the forend I would for sure move it. You can probably stain the dowel and it will not show that much. When screwing your swivel back in put some soap on it and it will go in much easier.
    Good hunting.
    Bill

5. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The afore mentioned methods willl probably work if done correctly. Another possibility is to take a trip to you local hardware store. They should have brass inserts that are threaded on the outside and on the inside. Now I realize that your original stud had wood screw threads, but you can get a stud from Uncle Mikes that has a machine screw. With a little looking at the hardware you can usually find one that has an internal thread that matches the Uncle Mikes stud. I think they're like a 10-32 or 10-24. It takes a little looking and a little work, but when your done they can look pretty nice, if you take the time to work the brass down nice and shiny. And if installed correctly they won't pull out.

P.S. you can find these inserts in steel also.

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Actually it's in the fore end of the stock. Are you saying just fill in the hole and drill a new hole a 1/2 inch away and use that hole for my swivel stud?

7. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Take and drill her out a little then get you a small can of fiberglass boat repair fill her in drill you a new hole and fill swivel heads with lock tight she wont ever come out!!