Fixing a jon boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by catfish1516, Aug 9, 2006.

1. catfish1516

catfish1516 New Member

State:
    Reidsville ,North Carolina
    I found an old Jon Boat in the woods and we dragged it out and put it in the water, and found out that it had a few small cracks in it and I don't know how to fix them, can somebody help me fix these inexpensively.

2. Greg32

Greg32 New Member

State:
    Northeast Kansas
    Do a search on aluminum boat repair. There are several no-weld repair kits on the market now that just reqiure a propane torch. I have not used any of these so I can't give you a "brand A is better than brand B" answer.

Greg

3. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Ask yourself why there are cracks there. If they are caused by stresses, then you might need to look at this from more of a structural repair.

If they are in a nonstructural area and are small maybe you can get by with something along the lines of "JB WELD". It's sold at most car parts stores.

This wouldn't be a permanent fix, but might get you by.

Good luck,
    _

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The absolute cheapest way to fix it is with some silicone and duct tape.
    It'll work for for several months at the time if you are talking about small cracks.

5. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    When my boss had a crack in his Aluminum boat, he just TIG welded it. That was the begining of summer, and he's had no more problems with it since.

6. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I would weld it but I have the stuff to weld but I would think if you took it up to a local welding shop it might cost a minumum of about 40 bucks but heck if the boat was free in the first place and you only end up putting 50 bucks or so in it to make it leak free why not.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Marine Tek works wonders. It's like JB Welb but a lot better IMO

8. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Mark, I have never been more proud to call you Brother.

:worship:

ST

9. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Like SeedTick, I'm impressed with your sound advice, you sure you ain't from Arkansas?

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The only 2 reasons I said that.
    1. he said cheap, it dont get any cheaper.
    2. a jon boat found and dragged from the woods. The aluminum is porobally so contaminated the tungsten would make that crack into a hole:big_smile:

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    why quik fix it when you can have it done right , sorry but for my boat sticks and glue are out . but then i paid 1500 for mine i have leaks it takes on 5 to 15 gallon depending on wether im out 4 or 8 hours but i usualy drain it on the run i plan on getting it fixed infact im working on gettin together some cash now to hopefully get it fixed within a couple months , to get back to the question at hand it depends do you plan on haveing it along time or just awhile are you wanting to sell maybe later or sink it , personally id say its probly worth haveing it done right

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Generally I believe in fixing the problem the right way. You cant fix alot of these old jons the right way. You go to heliarc it and a small hairline crack turns into a quarter sized hole. Been there and it aint pretty.

13. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah mark i agree some things cant be fixed the right way . but a good or should i say an experienced welder should know wether or not it could or would with stand welding am i not right?

14. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    just want to say that aluminum boats aren't that easy to weld if your not that familur with welding. exspecialy if the aluminum is corroted

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Charles, they'll find out when they put the tungsten to it.

16. southpaw

southpaw New Member

State:
    alabama
    mark i own a john boat. that is all i fish out of. i had a hole get into mine and the way i fixed it was first i drilled out the hole.i went and bought a fiberglass repair kit fo 12 bucks. followed the instructions and have not had any problems since. i hope this helps

17. Trueblue

Trueblue New Member

State:
    California
    learned alot thanks

18. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I had one that had some cracks in it, and I cleaned it with muriatic acid, and hosed that off. Then I painted it with epoxy pool paint. Last I knew it still hasn't leaked in 5 years. This was on a polarkraft 14 footer. approx. price 40.00
    Later Andy

19. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    This same topic came up in the waterfowl site I visit alot. lots of posts suggested getting roll on Rino liner form a autoparts store and rolling out the inside bottom, or was it the outside what ever it seals and takes a beating also the boat become real quiet, If you have a friend at a shop that spray the liner they might even do it at a reduce rate. Eather way good luck

20. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have used simple 2 part epoxy to mend small pits, prolly not strong enough for cracks.

There's an epoxy putty called envirotek that's tough stuff. "Shop Metal" is supposed to be even stronger.

If you know a local aluminum welder he cound take care of it for under $50 if it's not bad.