Automotive lighting Hood Helmet Automotive design Headgear

Eye Hood Automotive tire Liquid Automotive design

tried to bend it back and started to crack

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,343 Posts
Wow!,
That’s pretty beat up for not knowing how it happened or has it just had a long, hard life?
I just took my stainless one in to be cleaned up as I hit a chunk of submerged concrete in the autumn.
First guy I took it to said $200 - $300 to fix it; a brand new one exact the same is only 220!
Found another guy, $100 I can live with that.

…W

·
Premium Member
5,800 Posts
I suspect unless you are fishing in the middle of one of the Great Lakes sooner or later it's gonna happen. Don't make it any less aggravating though. I knocked about 1/3 of a blade off the prop on my Mariner 25hp several years ago but got really lucky and found a replacement on another motor. That motor had broken a piston rod, I got the whole motor for not a lot more than a new prop was going to set me back. I completely dissembled that engine boxed, cataloged and stored each part to be used as replacements as needed. About 10 years later I sold that boat and motor and let all the spare parts go with it never using a single one.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Johnson 90

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
2,370 Posts
Last summer hit an old road bed on Red River of the north. Knew it was there but was not close enough to Minn side. Got back to ramp and installed spare. Was just ideling also when I hit it. Have not totally fixed it yet. Did take big channel locks and bend back the one bent blade.

Carry a spare new prop with me. Many times see a new log jam after ice out on river. Trying to get close to fish it will scrape bottom on new sand bar.

·
Premium Member
5,800 Posts
now how are you going to balance it?
Not to hijack, but I have often wondered how far out a prop has to be to start eating seals and accelerating bearing wear.
I don't know how precise the balancing is on a brand-new prop. but I would suspect a rather large percentage of props that have been used very long have nicks, dings, gouges and uneven ware from one blade to the next. All would cause the loss of weight in one place without an equal amount of loss at 180 degrees. Just wondering.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
amazons pretty cheap for aluminum props. i get into nasty rocks and shallow stuff to justify putting a stainless on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts