fixed Vs Mechanical

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Mi11er, Sep 7, 2008.

What kind of broadhead

1. Fixed

2. mechanical

3. Traditional( Magnus type)

4. It don't matter

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    What do you prefer fixed or mechanical? or do you think it doesn't matter.

2. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    ive used both with mixed results. ive had fixed blades that dont fly straight and mechanicals that forgot to open but i think i found a type of each that wont do that. the rage mechs. dont do that anymore and slik trik fixed blades are small, fly staright and punch a whole in the animal the size of a quarter

3. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have yet to try mechanical broadheads some buddies have use them and have had to many problems. I am a BIG muzzy 3 blade fan but have tried the slick tricks too and like them as well.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I been shooting 2 blade heads for years and like em. At least i can sharpen em, and they fly good thru my bow.

5. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    I figure Ill play it safe and shoot fixed blades that fly good. I just bought some of the new muzzy mx 4 4 blade 100 grain. They fly very good just like feild points but man i was dissapointed in the construction of these things. Seem to be much flimzier than the older 4 blade with the orange camo and the blades were not very sharp at all. I took a shapener to em and they are fine now but kinda bitter sweet. But in all reality you can prolly kill a deer witha feild point if you shot placement is good thats what its all about IMO.

6. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Don't get me wrong, I love muzzys but it seems that those new broadheads they came out with was just an excuse to charge 21 dollars for 3 heads. I will stick to the original:wink:

7. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    Ya I hear ya. I was kinda ina bind thats all they had besides G5 which were 40 bucks or mech. so oh well I know better next time.

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    With the many styles and choices of broadheads, making the right decision can be difficult. I've tried many fixed and mechanical broadheads. Now I'm using the SHUTTLE T-LOCK fixed blade for big game. I've found these broadheads fly just as straight as my field points, even at long distances and with the wind blowing. Very minimal wind planing. They are super sharp and virtially indestructable. They do cost more, but to me they are worth it. My friend used them in Africa this summer and had awesome success killing big animals. Including an ELAND, BUSH PIG, SABLE ANTELOPE and a few others. These animals are huge and mean business!! The farthest trail job was only 100yds!! A testimonial of the quality of equipment and broadhead used.

For hunting Turkeys, I prefer mechanicals. I use the NAP Shockwave. I've experienced great results with this broadhead. Even when shooting through netting on my blind. Very accurate. My longest shot was at 28yds, in the back of the neck of a jake. Dead bird instantly!

Thanks.
    Mark.

9. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i used the mechanical for a long time and they were good. now after my second dislocated shoulder, i went to fixed blades since i am only shooting 58#. i think the fixed blades will do better with the slower arrow. i guess all are good if the shot placement is good....

10. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I've used both but have gone to just fixed lately. I killed a couple deer with the grim reaper expandables...but find myself worrying too much about if they perform good everytime. So I am back to my old faithful for hogs and deer, the Muzzy 4 blade in 100gr. Has never let me down and they bleed alot..:wink:

11. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I prefer the old Bear 2 bladed broad head have always had good results and they are easy to sharpen.

12. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I have been shooting 100 grain thunderheads and cant seem to change. I havent had any problems with them at all.

13. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Muzzy 100gr. for me. POI is just the same as field tips and they are tough as nails. I also like the fact that they give you practice blades to shoot instead of using and dulling up the good blades. Ive been using the 3 blades but I might try the 4 blades. They really are bad to the bone.

14. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Fixed blades for me. I been using Thunderhead 100's forever, and believe any high quality broadhead will do the job.
    I tryed mech's on my practice target found the blades don't hold up that well. I also believe angle of the animal and shot placement is more critical with mech's.
    Broadhead tuning is critical for good flight. I use a roller bearing arrow straightening tool and spin the broadhead watching the very tip on a reference line and if it come off that line even the littlest bit, I heat the insert and turn it and test it until it is perfect.

15. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    I used to hate mechanical till i tried the rage broadheads and imo they are the best i've ever used,they cut a huge hole and leave a good blood trail,wouldn't use anything else.

16. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    So what I'm getting from this poll is that the rage broadheads are worth the money

17. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I never shot any, but it sounds like folks like em. I personally like the 2 blade bear or magnus because i'm tight ($$$) and the fact that i can sharpen them up and go again. I've never been able to sharpen a SS blade of any kind with much success. I can make a 2 blade shave a sleepin mouse and never wake it.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

18. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Shave a sleeping mouse!!!:crazy::eek:oooh: Man thats sharp:smile2::wink:

19. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Try the rubber band test with your broad heads. Put a band between your fingers( not super tite) and ease your head thru it. If it pushes it back and doesn't sever it, it stands to reason it will do veins and arteries the same way. I like that grap ya effect a sharp old hickory butcher knife has. It'll bite ya bout like a tin can lid.

20. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I started out shooting muzzy fixed blades years ago with a older browning nitro ex, pulling 75 lbs with an arrow and broadhead weight of 412 grains and a speed of 235 fps and never had any problems. I updated my bow a couple years ago to a Hoyt Trykon XL pulling 63 lbs with arrow and broadhead weight of 352 grains with mechanical broadheads and a speed of 277 fps, have had penetration prblems the last couple of seasons, haven't lost a deer yet, but don't like the fact of a couple with no pass trough. All the reviewing I have done the last couple of months, I think I will go back to shooting an heavier arrow and a fixed broadhead this year, thinking the G5,

Quote:

Given two arrows of equal momentum, but with one deriving a greater portion of its momentum from mass than the other, the heavier arrow will change velocity (decelerate) at a slower rate as it passes through the tissues. In other words, the heavier arrow will retain a higher percentage of its impact velocity at any given time period during its passage through the animal’s tissues, thus it also retains a higher momentum at any given point during the time required for the arrow to[FONT=&quot]
    penetrate.

[/FONT]Another way of saying this would be that, though the heavier arrow is traveling slower, it takes a longer time to stop. The result is that the heavier arrow will have a greater impulse of force than does the light arrow.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    It is momentum that gives an object in motion the tendency to stay in motion. The greater the contribution of the object’s mass is to the resultant momentum the harder it will be to stop the forward progression of a moving object.

It is common for proponents of light and fast arrows to counter that the faster arrow will have traveled a greater distance through the tissues in the same time period than will the heavier, and slower, arrow. This would be valid were it not for the nature of resistance forces.

As the arrow’s velocity is increased the resistance does not increase equivalently. The resistance increases exponentially. The resistance of a medium to penetration is reliant on the square of the object’s velocitycoeffincient of drag, using arrows with the same external profile, material and finish. If the arrow’s impact velocity doubles, the resistance increases by a factor of four. If the impact velocity quadruples, the resistance to penetration increases 16 times.