Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aug 3rd. I finally found the source of the blaring alarm; it was the oil tank sensor. When I started checking the internet they said I would have to replace the whole unit, cost $157 not counting labor. Then I spotted something about it can be repaired, There was video on you tube how a guy fixed it. Then another guy had even a better video on the same repair. So I believed I could give it a shot at repairing it myself.

Saturday morning I went out and took the trap off the boat and got the oil tank off the motor. I took that inside to work on it; for it was too hot to work outside. None of my tools were not long enough to reach the metal clamp at the top of the float. I had to use my wife’s knitting needle to get it off. Once it was off the float and magnet came out. I then had to go get some gasket sealer: once again thought I had some, but could not find it. I got the float and clamp back together, I was going to put it back on in the evening when the temps cooled down.

I then checked the radar no rain in sight so I left the motor and tarp uncovered. I then took a nap, but was awakened by thunder. My wife said it had been raining hard for 20 minutes. I raced out cover the motor with the tarp but there was a section on the side that I did not pull down. As it turned out my area was hit with 3 inched of rain in less than hour. When the storm ended I went out and opened up the drain plug to remove all the water that had entered the boat.

Now I had to let the boat dry out before I tried to reinstall the tank. So I finally was able to get it all put back on the motor Sunday afternoon. Flipped the ignition key and NO BLASTING alarm!! Monday morning I am charging the batteries once again to be sure they ready to test the motor. Tuesday morning I hooked up the rabbit ears and water to make sure thing are running O.K. before I head back to the river. I had time on my hands but it was frustrating seemed like every time I was making progress something was popped up to set me back. I am going to thank both of those guys for posting their video about how to fix this problem.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Well congrats Mr. Norb.
There's your dinner!!
:biggrin1:

Reactions: Catpaw

·
Premium Member
11,191 Posts
Glad it worked out for you Norb. Thank goodness for youtube. Now a word of advice. MAKE SURE you wipe all the oil off your wife's knitting needle or a loud blaring alarm will seem like a soft music box melody compared to a wife's wrath. :eek1:

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did clean off the knitting needle and straighten it out. She was glad to have it back. I took the boat on the river yesterday, it ran great no problems at all!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Good Idea to get into the habit of removing the drain plug each time you load the boat back on the trailer. If not, you will never get the joy of wondering for sure if you put it back in before it goes back in the water next time LOL
Yep, what I do habitually too along with disconnecting trailer lights (why take chance of it shorting). Have a routine and prefer not having anyone help else that be when I get out of routine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts