Fitec Super Spreader "Quick Throw" Cast Nets

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Mr.T, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Bought a Super Spreader "Quick Throw" cast net at Wal Mart today since I'm apparently a mental defective and can't learn to throw a "traditional" net. :cursing:

Anybody here ever use this "Quick Throw" net?

It has a big plastic ring at the top that's supposed to help you make a perfect cast every time. I'll try it out in the back yard tonight, and am prepared to return it to Wal Mart if it doesn't work, but if anyone has one and can relate your experiences with them, I'd appreciate it.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Since nobody else apparently uses these, I'll post my "first impressions."

The net actually has a big and sturdy aluminum ring near the top of the net, which apparently is the secret to making it work. Because otherwise it looks just like any other throw net.

I watched the short video and studied the instructions for just a few minutes before heading out to the back yard to give the net a try.

To my total amazement, the first throw was quite respectable and resulted in the net opening up to about 75% of it's maximum -- which was *way* better than I've ever managed with the "old style" cast nets. I played around for another 20 or 30 minutes and was getting fairly consistent throws that were wide enough to be acceptable. I even let my 8 year old take a shot and while it was way too heavy for him to get any distance, he did get it to open just fine.

So my first impression is that I have a cast net I might actually be able to throw. Hoping to get a chance to use it this weekend and will report back if I do.

3. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I had one acouple years ago with the ring like you mentioned. Throw it with one hand. I liked it real well but unfortunately I hung it up and lost everything but the rope. It worked real well though.

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Hello,my name is Cook,and I'm a mental defective when it comes to throwing a net.

[all of you].hello,Cook

Thanks for the report.Saw a guy throwing one this year at the boat ramp.Looked like it was pretty effortless,he just flipped it out and it opened.
    AMAZING!!!

Keep me updated on your progress.

Also,price?$$

5. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    yeah, Mr.T, how much was it? it sounds interesting to me

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Those are good nets for learning to throw one. I have had mine for years, it just takes a bit of time to learn to use and once you learn you can go to bigger and better nets.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    The net was $27 or so at Wally World. I think they list for around $45 on the Fitec web site. The one I bought was the "Professional" model with 1lb of weight per ft of radius (5lbs in my case) and 3/8" blue mono mesh for the net.

I tried to use it a few times this weekend from the boat and it's a bit big and unwieldy from the boat. Our boat is a 17 ft Lowe deep-V and there's not a lot of room to really "wind up" for the toss, but I was still able to get it open 70% or so on almost every throw. It sinks fast and the 25 ft rope lets me get the shad that are deep.

The instructional video gives some tips for throwing from a boat, but the guy is on the bow of a huge bass boat and can make a full 360 degree turn before tossing the net, so he made it look easy. Normally it's a one-hand throw with this net, but from the boat, he shows you how to hold the net with both hands to throw from a smaller area.

Interestingly, once I figured out how to throw the new net, I went back to my old "conventional" net and was able to get it work a little more consistently - I think a lot of it had to do with seeing how the net was supposed to fly through the air. I'll stick with the new net for now, since it's bigger and still easier to throw.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You mean I'm not the only one that cant throw a net? My buddy, Flathuntr gives me grief all the time for this. Not only him, but my own wife makes fun of me.... Oh it gets worse, earlier this year, my 6 year old son, yes 6, as in 1...2...3...4....5.....6 is with me at the lake, trying to get shad. Hes foloowing me picking the shad up (on the rare occasion that I get one) He finally says (after 3 hours!) "Dad you stink at this" :crying: Thanks son I love you too.

Thanks for this cast net. I will look into it.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It took me a few days before I got the hang of the castnet, I have been trying to show mellon all year, he is in fact horrible at it :rolleyes: Bryan, I would try the castnet with the ring..Might be better than the thrower you just got from cabelas.

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Just an FYI...

Looks like the Fitec folks have put up new free videos for the "super spreader" cast net as well as "regular" cast nets that might help folks like me get the hang of things:

http://www.castnets.com/netthrowinghelp.asp

The video for the "throw ring" net is 11 minutes long and pretty well done. I didn't look at the other video yet.

11. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Pretty neat looking nets, may have to pick a large one up to use from my lil 16ft boat. I have a 5 ft and 8 ft regular net. The 5 is not to bad to throw off the boat but the 8 is close to impossible (for me).

12. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    It is the only kind of net that I can throw:eek: If it were'nt for that ring I might as well jump in after them:)

13. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Of the people I have shown how to throw a castnet, most of them were throwing it to hard and the line was pulling tight. This causes the net to start to close before it ever it hits the water. Try a lazy throw when you are first learning, slightly up and out with enough force to get the net to travel about 10-12 feet. Those that were ever in the service, your left hand stays pretty close to your body, (elbow stays bent) while your right arm imitates throwing a hand grenade. Or maybe a discus?
    Rat

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    OK OK I have had enough!!!:mad: It's bad enough that I pick on MELLON all the time but the rest of you guys need to BACK off!!!!!! I'll bet Bryan is just as good a cast net thrower as anybody on here ,in fact I'll put him up against any of you hotshots.His problem is getting it to open AFTER he throws it ;) !!!! Three shad in three hours is a remarkable feat considering how hard it is to hit one moving shad with a tight mass of lead and mono,knock it out and then wait for it to float to the surface.:p

15. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I also will have to look into this net as I have the same disease Mellon has. It's hard to cope with the fact that you look like a complete and total TARD while trying to throw a cast net.

Ray(Yes I rode the cast net short bus)

16. rasimmons

rasimmons Guest

i have a bad right shoulder and i could only throw a traditional cast net a few times before having to stop to rest but the 5' net with a ring i have now can throw a couple dozen times before resting and i can get it to open alot better

17. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    And here I allways wondered why the only time to get them was after the winter shad die off. I bet it was from all the throwing and lead posioning.

18. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    One of the in-fisherman catfish video's I have, I think it's "Big cat Safari" a guy on there shows how he throws a cast net. It is the easiest method I have ever seen, it's the one I use and it's easy to learn. I showed a guy in my campground how to do it and after three tries he was getting the net open every time. He had tried cast nets before and just couldn't get the hang of it. I agree with what someone else posted, most guys try to throw it too hard. I need to see if I can get some pics and post up this method, if weather stays nice I may try that this week and get it up to help everyone out. Boog

19. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

I throw left handed, and to try an show someone how to throw is entertaining. I usually tell em to pay attention and then stand on yer head. Or rather do everything I just did, backwards. I did manage to show my two close fishing buddies how to throw last year. Somehow they caught on.
    I agree with Rat in tryin too hard. I just "lob" em out there. Kinda like tossin a big pizza. You dont want it to stick to the ceiling, yet you want it to come back all spread out. I have several styles I use. All depending on the location and size of net. Just whatever works the best for me at the time.
    Bout the only pointer I can give handy is, find a method in which it spreads out an practice, parctice, practice.

20. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I will say categorically that I can throw that FITEC ring much better than anything I tried before.Sails out there perfectly, deploys beautifully,everything you could want.Next I'm going to put the net in it and try that.:p ;) :)