Fishzilla: Snakehead Invasion

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by wolfman, Feb 18, 2008.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Are they in your waters? Have you had encounters with these fish? Your thoughts?

2. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i have heard of these fish, my brother in law said he saw something on TV about them. i told him to give me a call the next time it was on so i could have a chance to watch it. i don't know much about them but from what he was telling me i don't want to either!

3. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    It was on this last weekend. One of the discovery, TLC or animal planet channels.

4. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Hey Walter, I'm sure your familiar with the warnings in WV, since you lived & fished here before. DNR is on a quest to get these things out of here before they become a problem. Despite all those warnings I never seen one and don't know anyone that has. My question is, what about you, have you seen one after spending all that time on the Ohio, or do you know anyone that has?

5. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    The only reports Ive heard of came out of the Potomac River. We have had members witness Snakeheads being caught there before. Nothing in the Ohio River that I know of.

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I saw that show the other day. I believe it was on the National Geographic channel. They were originally found in a Maryland pond but have now spread to the Potomac. They are voracious eaters and have even been known to attack humans.

7. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
  8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Ive not heard of them in the water out here. My brother in Ohio has kept them in his aqaurium and I have to say that they are probably the most agressive fish Ive seen in captivity:crazy:. We used to keep piranha and they dont quite measure up either! Piranha get aggressive when they are in numbers (from my experiences) while snake heads will go at it alone. They are also excellent jumpers. My brother has found a few on his floor a couple times.

9. Kowegi

Kowegi New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have seen pictures of them. The reason they spread is because they can walk on land (like a walking catfish) for 2 months aslong as there skin is moist. Im glad there not in Tennessee. If i see one, im shooting it.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i have no idea. ive never seen or caught one here in illinois.

11. Kowegi

Kowegi New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    In some countries there rated as a valuable foodfish. im guessing thats why they probally got here (like carp)

12. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Cool fish, but definatley voracious! There are many different species, and most are tropical and won't make it. But the problem comes in with the northern snakehead from China which is very tolerant of cold waters, and lower oxygen levels, also with their capability of transversing between bodies of water over land. I'd love to fish for them in their native enviroment, but around waters in the U.S. they can decimate anything that'll fit in there mouths, or that they can catch and beat to death!

13. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    we have something like them called the BOWFIN...almost identical

14. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Never seen one or heard of one in Texas, not yet anyway.
    Looks pretty wicked though.
    :eek:oooh:

15. monimoon

monimoon New Member

State:
    NC
    One word Ouch!!! I'd hate to be bit by one of those suckers!
    :crazy:

16. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    i saw the show and it said they are illegal to own in the united states. they have been added to the list of invasion animals they eat all the other fish and breed like crazy i know they were in the DC area . the show said if you ever catch one kill it and then call the dnr they made it very clear that they want this fish out of the us

17. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    havent seen any in indiana

18. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    All the pictures I've seen of them are about the size of your hand. How big can they get?

19. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Bowfin are indigenous to NC waters, therefore already a part of the ecosystem. Snakeheads are not. They, indeed, are a threat. There have been a few reports of snakeheads caught in Lake Wiley and in the Catawba river.
    A bowfin has a short anal fin, where a snakehead has a long anal fin.

The first bowfin I caught, I had no idea what it was. I described it as looking "prehistoric" and found out later that it is indeed a prehistoric species.
    Talk about a mouth full of teeth!
    They can reach sizes much bigger than your hand. This one was probably 25-30".

[​IMG]