Fishtrap Lake

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by flathead_ky, Feb 16, 2006.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Fishtrap Lake is a prime catfish lake, but isn't really pressured too much for catfish. You will see you several bank fishermen sometimes, but most of the attention is on the Largemouth and Smallmouth bass and crappie. I fish for them all, but I am definately going to do a little more catfishing there. There have been some nice cats come out of the lake. One of my fishing buddies caught a 20+lb flathead on a Berkley Powerworm while we were fishing for bass one night.

2. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have heard of fishtrap lake. could you tell me what part of ky it is in? i would think people fishing for bass wouldn't effect the catfishing. besides, if your buddy caught a nice one while fishing for bass, imagine if he was actually fishing for cats!

3. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The lake is located in Eastern Kentucky. Actually with most of them focusing on the bass, it would be a great lake for anyone fishing for cats. I thought the same thing when he caught the cat. Imagine throwing a nice bluegill or shad around some of the deep channels or shallow structure there, its hard to tell what cat you might hook up with! I hope to find out soon.

4. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I hope I can visit my grandparents this spring. They live like 15 minutes from fishtrap. I've only fish the spillway but had a blast when I went. Maybe we can hook up and catch some big ones some time this spring.

5. LarryE

LarryE New Member

State:
    KY
    they ruin the spillway anymore, they are always letting to much water out of it and when they aint it is overcrowded.. there is perfect trout fishing below the spillway though..

If I had access to a boat I'd be out on fishtrap every free moment.

6. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I fish Fishtrap a lot. It has a good population of flatheads and channels. It gets nasty in the spring with all the garbage. You have to be careful with a boat.

7. rickster

rickster New Member

State:
    kentucky
    weres a good place to fish off phone off the bank at fishtrap

8. LarryE

LarryE New Member

State:
    KY
    in the upper corner that is gated off where the water is still or walk along the long path over to the dam tower