Fishless In Zanesville

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by cats gone wild, Oct 15, 2006.

1. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I made it out to the Muskingum this morning. I got on the water at Riverside Park around 5 a.m., Fished till 10 a.m. Air temp was 30 degrees, water temp was 51.8. Not a single hit! I fished log jams in 8,9 and 13ft. and a rocky area that drops to about 22 ft. I used live bluegills, cut shad and sucker. I think the unseasonable cool temps has shut them down. But I do recall wearing shorts and tee shirts close to the end of October last year. If it warms up to normal temps, will that turn the flatheads on again? Or is the season pretty much over since the water temp is close to 50 degrees now. Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Yep, the flathead fishing is pretty much over with for the year in the northern areas.

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    cats gone wild

Opinion & from what I've seen.

Flatheads pretty muck shut down @ below a water temp of 55 degrees and start back when above that.

http://www.lrd-wc.usace.army.mil/navtemp.html

The Ohio River @ the Pike Island Pool & @ Belleville are at approx. 63 degrees yet (10/15 6:15 PM).

:wink:

4. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Thanks for the info guys. I kinda thought the same thing. I was sorta suprised that I did'nt hook up with a channel. But I can't complain about the year I've had. Time to clean my flathead gear and go onto Catfish Connection to stock up on tackle.

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Cats, thanks for the positive reinforcement since I decided the cold front would shut them down so I opted to "pass" on this weekend on the Muskingum but now have solid plans for this upcoming weekend since were gonna get a bunch of 60 degree rain this week, so Im hoping one fresh burst of warmer water will help get them on fire.

Salmonid

6. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Mark, if that's true, then I will definetly be out again.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Hey Phil, If we get some warm days you should be able to coax one or two more to hit during the day. I've caught more on cut bait in Oct. than live but they are not as agressive feeders this close to 50 degrees. You might have to sit on one hole for a good bit. Now if we get some warm rain and the temp jumps back abov 55 or 56 they will hit readily even at night.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Oops, I meant to mention that the best time to fish them is from around 3pm till 8pm. The sun has been out all day and the water is the warmest its gonna get.

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice to see ya got out. I think them flatties are gonna be lockjaw for a while brother.