fishing with yo-yo's

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by pfoster, Jan 30, 2008.

1. pfoster

pfoster New Member

State:
    kansas
    I been thinking about triing yo-yo fishing. Does anyone know the legality of them in Kansas. Or has anyone tried them. If you have tried did you have any luck. Do you have any tips and can live bait be used.

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I use yo yo's here in arkansas for cats and crappie. Mostly crappie, especially in the spring. I don't know the regulations for yo yo's in Kansas but, here in Ark. you can have as many as 30 per person. I usually use live bait on them but you can use whatever you want. With live bait, usually minnows for me, I tie the yo yo to a limb making sure it is secure and won't come loose but I use a slip knot with a tag end and loop so I can retrieve them easily. I them put my bait on. If using shinners or small fish as bait I usually won't set it no more than two feet deep and sometimes will only set it just to where the bait is just under the surface of the water. This way the bait will be more active as it is in everythings view and does not have a place to hide. When ya get a strike you will here the yo yo zing and it will fight the fish for ya. Then all you have to do is retrieve the fish. The hook you use is generally determined by what kind of bait you decide to use. You can probably go online to your Kansas wildlife management page or fish and game and find out your regulations for yo yo fishing there. My suggestion is depending on the bait you decide to use just play around with them. Set some in deep water and some in shallow. See what works for you. Have fun.

3. pfoster

pfoster New Member

State:
    kansas
    thanks alot kevin i'll give a try