Fishing with Uncle Eugene story

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by wolfman, Sep 2, 2006.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    It seemed only yesterday but years ago I was fishing with my uncle Eugene and cousin Tommy down on Archie creek deep in the bottomlands of southeastern Arkansas. It was a night that had a full moon shining down on the three of us, just relaxing and fishing from that creek bank. The smells of the river and woods were pleasant and a warm, soft breeze carressed us on this balmy summer night, helping keep the skeeters away. The night sounds were soothing and we relaxed next to the campfire, waiting on mr. whiskers to strike at any moment. I am sure you have experienced this same mood on your very own fishing trips. Uncle Eugene broke out a pipe and a tin can of Prince Albert. The smell of the tobacco was pleasing as we listened to a whooperwill off in the distance. I noticed that Uncle Eugene also brought a small jug of shine with him and he took a sip from time to time. An occasional interruption occured when a catfish would take one of the green spring frogs and then we had to dehook and put the fish on a stringer.
    After a while we ran short of the green spring frogs we were using for bait and Tommy asked his dad if he would go catch some more. Knowing that Tommy or myself wasnt very good at finding them, Uncle Eugene took the sack and the light, making his way slowly toward a marshy area down the creek, without realizing it, he still had the jug of shine in the other hand. He held the lantern high looking for frogs.
    He cut a switch, leaving on the leaves, which he planned to slap the frogs with and stun them. He was catching a lot and tossing them into the sack. Holding the lantern high he spotted a snake a little distance away. The snake had a green spring frog in his mouth. On a whim he picked up a forked stick and made his way to where the snake lay. Uncle Eugene jabbed the forked stick just behind the snake's head, and pinned him to the ground where he could not bite. Then gently removed the frog from the snake's mouth and tossed it into the sack. He then said to himself: "That's a heck of a thing to treat a snake, robbing him of his supper". He figured a shot of shine would be a fair trade and poured a bit into the snake's mouth. You never saw such a reaction. The snake began to do corkscrews and spitting all over the place after lifting the stick. The last he saw of that snake he was wiggled off into the darkness, still kicking up a fuss.
    Uncle Eugene made his way back to where Tommy and I were, settled back down and we all had a laugh when he told us about the snake and him giving it a drink of shine. We fished for a little while and were sitting there in the semi darkness. I looked over just as Uncle Eugene made a sudden flinch when he felt a gentle tap on his left leg. He reached over for the lantern and held it high to see better. There was that snake again... with another frog in his mouth.

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Great story Walter, thanks for the post.:lol:

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Now that was funny! THANX!

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

ha ha ha that was a good story brother, thanks for sharing.

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Now that was a great story, thanks Walter! :lol:

6. BamaCats Lady

BamaCats Lady New Member

State:
    Luverne, Alabama
    LMAO... That was funny! I enjoyed that!
    Lisa

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    back on top for the new members to enjoy

8. BUDMEISER01

BUDMEISER01 Well-Known Member

State:
    NC

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

9. Nathan Sampson

Nathan Sampson New Member

State:
    Whitewater, Mo
    That is epic lol.

10. Dlynch

Dlynch New Member

State:
    Colorado
    great story

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member