Fishing with Sparky in Michigan

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by hear_kitty, May 10, 2006.

1. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Well we didn't kill em but we had a good time! looking forward to the next trip

2. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Don you have a gold mine at your disposal out there. If you have pics, Post em!!!!

Sal

3. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I guess Don was waiting for me to respond. It wasn't a good trip, It was a Great trip! Any one who has fished with Don, knows the humor of this big man. I mean, just putting Don and I in a boat together is humor in itself. Couple that with a little breaking wind and you're in for a wild time in a boat. I don't mean the wind blowing on the Bay, I mean Breaking Wind! Yes, I am the master of exspelling Flatus! Heck, it's a normal bodily function. And in most cases it's funny. Unless you're in an enclosed S10 pickup with VIC, and he is one doning the exspelling. That's not Funny! That's noise for the Deaf!

Any way, Don and I headed up stream to fish a couple of holes before going to the mouth of the river for the evening bite. Don, caught a couple of nice cats and a small bass, while I sat in the boat and watch him land his fish. ( I went bite less ) . Don, Suggested that we get out of the boat and stretch our legs and then head out to the mouth. ( Sounded good to me, cause I thought I was going to wet my pants).

We got to the mouth of the river and got set up for a few hours of fishing. Not much time had passed and Don boated a nice 4 pounder. We talked and laughed and Don gets another fish. (I'm still bite less) Then we witnessed something strange. There was a gator aid bottle floating in the water, going up steam! We both saw it moving in circles, when Don said, "Jug Line"! So, Don made a perfect cast and got the bottle and reeled it in. Low and behold, a Sheephead was on the line. The strange thing was, there was no hook! Yep, honest to God, this fish was tied onto the Jug. ( It kind of gives a new meaning to Jug Lining). Don, cut the line and released the fish as we both laughed and wondered when the fish were going to really turn on.

All of a sudden, there was this awful smell coming from the middle seat (which nobody was in). No, I'm not talking about the smell of gas generated in the intestinal track. I'm talking about the smell of SKUNK! Yes, SKUNK! Someone had recently sat in that seat, and had an Incarcerated Colonic Zephr. ( Having a Fart in Crossways), They didn't catch any Catfish, so they left the smell of Skunk. Now, with the southernly breeze on the river, that smell had drifted over to my rod. No wonder I wasn't catching any fish. As candid as Don could be, He told me Vic was in that sat last. Now it's all making sense to me. All of a sudden, I hear Zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, my bait caster was making this unfamilar sound. Well, wouldn't you know it, I pull in a VIC fish (Dog Fish). I can believe it! I've got to get this Skunk smell off my rod. I Rebait with some fresh cut bait, While Don reels in another cat, and we laugh some more.

Much time had passed and we were talking about calling it a night, when that strange sound happen again. Zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! My bait caster was singing a song I had never heard before. I grabbed my rod and when a mighty jerk, I set the hook on a good fish. A couple minutes later Don netted a cat that was a couple of ounces shy of 8lbs. Now, to some catfiherman that not a hugh fish, but it was the best of the night, and I finally got that skunk smell out of Don's Boat. I was glad of that, I thought he might not want me to go fishing with him any more.

Moral of story:
    When you go fishing in a boat, get all of the Skunk out before you leave the dock.

Sparky

4. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Poor vic he has the dogfish blues!! anybody now of a good prest that can say a prayer for my boat to keep vic from atracting dogfish to it!

5. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Guys that is too funny!!! ROTFLOL!!! Hey, who told you there was anything wrong with dogfish? Sparky, I just spoke to someone on here yesterday that used to eat them all the time. Hey remember what we said about people turning their nose up at suckers? LOL.

Hey guys I might not be able to make it up in two weeks for that outing we planned in favor of saving up my pennies for the Houghton trip in June. I just wanted to give you some heads up. Hey why don't you guys try some night fishing in the Saginaw River? Next time you get together do that for me. The bite rate might go down a tad, but I think you might have a greater chance of catching the fish of a lifetime. That is if you think those ultra lights have a chance of handling the load. ROTFLOL.

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    sparky, the only thing missing from the posts you make some days is the crackle of a campfire, and a fellow could feel like theyre sittin right there with you.

I really was excited about Houghton lake... perhaps I ought to pack a glade can with my OFF can. Dont want no poop-pouri!

Don... what are the chances for a short-short notice trip?
    Im tossing the idea of getting out of work some thursday as I usually do at 1PM, grabbing my gear at home, and heading out for just a few hours. Im talking like arriving by 3 and fishing till 9:30. I dont have a specific day in mind but heck- for the fun of it, I think I ought to work my way over to ya more often if its only a 1 hour 15 minute drive time via backroads.

I am frying up the fish we caught this thursday for my buddy who I was bragging to on the phone.... but perhaps another thursday??? Whatcha think!?!

7. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Hey guys where is that post that JSPIEL made in reference to the DNR and black buffalo? I can't find it anywhere...

8. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Man, sheepshead are the PRIMO flathead bait. I have never had a sheepshead on my hook that didn't get me a flat, never.

Lots of rain in forecast for 5/11-5/15, should turn on the bite for Saturday on the El Grande...

9. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Any time sal you name the day and we are there!

10. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Live or cutbait?

11. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    here you go Vic.

OH and thanks Don!

12. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Sal,
    It sounds like we have turned you on to the Saginaw Bay! It's a great fishery with a lot of untouched catfishing. Remember we're still going to be up there the 19th & 20th at Vanderbuilt Park. Come on up even if it's for the day. From the sounds of it, Vic is a no show.
    Give it some thought. By then the rain will have stopped and the cats will be back in the area with nothing to do but bite at our hooks.
    Sparky

13. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    sparky,

I cant afford an all nighter cause then Id have to get the wife in on it too- Im trying to keep it bare bones till Houghton lake. I am day tripping till then at best.

heres the pic Don emailed me that I redid of your fish. I cropped it, lightened it, intensified it up, and also made an avatar should you choose to use it. If not its a good pic for the pages anyhow. GREAT CATCH!

Hey! I know that spot! LOL

sal

Attached Files:

14. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Hay vic it's not how stiff your rod is it's how you handle it:embarassed: :waaaht:

15. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Live, my friend. 4-10" is great for all size flats, and up to two pounds or so for the Magnum Rig (we all have at least one, don't we?).
    Flathead candy... Give one a try, especially where they are native, like the lower Grand.
    My biggest ever (32#) ate a 9 incher. I'll bet she's up to 35 pounds by now.
    Best,
    Tony