Fishing with slat traps/box traps

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Yak 'n fish, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Yak 'n fish

Yak 'n fish New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I got a box trap for Christmas, but I need some advice on the best way to fish it. Folks using them up in Northeast Louisiana use cheese to bait the traps, but the people I talked to mostly fish in lake - i.e., still water. I've tried the cheese on the local bayou down here in Southwest Louisiana and have yet to catch a fish. I've put the trap in two different places. First, near the mouth of a feeder canal, but the water was really high at the time. I just moved it a couple of days ago to the main channel, about 6'-8' deep. Still no fish. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Up 'til now, I've just trotlined, so this is brand new to me.

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    bait it with chicken livers in panty hose. fill up on of those knee highs full. then poke it a few times wita knife to open it alittle.

3. efdavis

efdavis New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Used to use them around Washington,La. If the trap is new it will probably
    be a week or more before it will start catching fish but when it starts be
    ready to skin a bunch of channel cat. I baited mine with cheese in the bags
    from the net co. in Jonesville, La.. If you have a current turn the mouth
    down stream. Good luck

4. catdaddy64

catdaddy64 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I agree with you. It's been years since I had any box traps but we used stinky cheese in stockings or cheese cloth. Also, if the mouth isn't pointed down stream the fish will not swim in. We fished the Mississippi river when the water was high.

EF are you from around Jonesville? My mother is a Wiley born and raised in Trinity. I have kinfolks all over that area.

5. efdavis

efdavis New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I am not from that area ,just worked in south la. but coon hunted with a Cecil Wiley
    that lived in Crowley back in the earl 70s. live in NW La.

6. catdaddy64

catdaddy64 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I see.

7. Yak 'n fish

Yak 'n fish New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I soaked it good, so that's no problem. I've been trying the cheese bait and have yet to catch a fish. I've moved the trap a couple of times. This time I put it right near the mouth of a little shallow canal where it drains into the river, but in deeper water. I also changed bait to pantyhose full of chicken livers. By George, I've gotta catch something eventually.:fingers-crossed:

8. catdaddy64

catdaddy64 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Are you sure there are any catfish in the canal?

9. Yak 'n fish

Yak 'n fish New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Yeah, they're there. I trotline that area sometimes.

10. efdavis

efdavis New Member

State:
    louisiana

11. Yak 'n fish

Yak 'n fish New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Okay, I've got a trot-liner's mentality, you know, running the lines every day. So, how long should I wait to check the trap?

12. efdavis

efdavis New Member

State:
    louisiana
    At least a week.

13. scrantny

scrantny New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have one of these also.... and i used it once in the water for 3 days with no catches.....

now a buddy of mine gave it to me during the thanksgiving holiday... he was very specific and told me that it had been out of the water a while...said it needed to be waterlogged again... he aslo said that it wont really catch many fish until it gets slimey again like its been there a while no matter what you put in it.... now the first time i used it i had to put quite a few bricks in it so it would even just sink....so since then i have been leaving it at the camp sitting under the pier so it will get the water back into the wood and get "slimey" again... next time i go i plan on going a few days ahead of time and baiting the trap before i actually stay for a few days and hopefully just clean some cats when i get there or before we leave to go home...

he was very specific about it being acclimated to the water meaning that it needs to sit in the water a while and get slimey or get the water algae on it before the cats would even be interested... he said the same thing about the tire traps he's made.... said it takes about a week to two weeks for the to get ripe and then you bait them...and should hook up on some good cats.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  14. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i dont want to HiJack your thread, but what is a Slat Trap... i have never heard nor have i seen one....

15. Yak 'n fish

Yak 'n fish New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Some people just call it a box trap. It's rectangular in shape, made from wood slats, with a door at one end and a plastic throat at the other.

16. Yak 'n fish

Yak 'n fish New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hopefully, I'm on the right track, then. The trap's been in the water since around the first of January. I've just moved it a couple of times, but I've never taken it off the river.

Question. Summer is rough on river cats. Do you check your traps more often in warm water?

17. scrantny

scrantny New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i havent used it in the summer time yet....but from experience i know the oxygen levels get lower in the summer time....i really just assume this because we have caught cats and other fish at the camp and have left them in a keeper basket over night to take home and clean the next day...when we woke up and checked the basket they were dead or barely alive... so in the summer i would probably check at least every couple of days at the most.... and i guess it just depends on what area you are in..

im sure someone else out there could verify a length of time to soak in the summer and the theory of lower oxygen levels...i would like to know also....

18. mullyden

mullyden Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
  19. efdavis

efdavis New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Not to be nosey but what river are you fishing and if you ever start catching fish I would
    run it at least every other day. Don't give up untill after may or the spawn in your area.

20. Yak 'n fish

Yak 'n fish New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I fish Bayou Nezpique. It's not that big, but I've had good luck in the Spring trotlining with Danny King's Blood Punch Bait. I'm hoping for good luck with this trap, too. I've decided not to run it until Sunday or Monday. I moved it Thursday and rebaited it with chicken livers.