Fishing With Sentimental Equipment

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by H2O Mellon, Jun 29, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Alot of us may have a rod, reel, or lures that were hand me downs by fathers, grandfathers, great grandfathers, etc... How many of you have used them?

I have a Berkley Cherrywood Rod (very old one, must have been one of 1st years they made them) and an old Diawa reel. I dont have the reel model with me, but it's a large reel & makes that clicking noise when you reel it in. (It is meant to make the noise.) This rig used to belong to my grandfather who passed away when I was 8 years old.

A few years back I was playing around w/ the idea of using the rod. It still has a wonderfull action on it. This rod is ten times the rod of the current Cherrywood rods that Berkley makes. I finally decided to take it our on the Great Miami River and fish for smallmouth at one of my favorite areas. I think I put a Shimano FX light action reel on it. (I felt the reel was too big for light action fishing). I was using small feeder goldfish and caught several dinks smallmouth. Then it happened...... I had a heck of a run. I really thought I had a Northern or perhaps a Tigermuskie becasue a couple had been caught there that summer. Well I was wading in water past my kneews, almost up to my midsection. I was fighting this fish for a while becasue I had either 4 or 6 # line. Several times I thought the rod was going to break, but it handeled the fish. Near the end of the fight the fish came right at me, I mean , right at me. I prob weighed around 290#'s at the time, let me tell you I jumped right over the fish. It had to be the funniest thing you'd ever seen. I finally tired the fish out, walked to the bank before I landed it, becasue until then I had no idea what I had. There were also a couple 2 foot aligators caught around this spot that summer too. (People released their former pets.) All sorts of things were going through my head. :embarassed: Once I got on the bank I realized it was the lragest catfish that I had ever caught (up to that point). I didnt have a scale or camera, but it was prob a 6-8 # channel cat. I rember that fight more than I do anyother fish. I think it was the fact that I was using that rod is what made it so special. I gave the rod (& reel) to my dad the day after that & had him lock it up in his fireproof gun safe. I figured what a way to retire the rod for good. Today, I am sitting here thinking of spooling up the reel & taking it out Saturday if the wife & kids & I go out for some Great Miami River carp. What do you think?

2. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    GOOD POST! I just acquired some vintage Zebco 33's & 404's that are probably older than we are.I just need to find someone to fix em.They dont cast too good.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ive got and use one of my Dads knifes to cut my bait (its dull I need to resharpen it) and some reels that he used for carp. Had a rod but it had dry rot and broke in two.

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I built a rack to diplay my dads old metal rod and the reels he used on it. It gets a lot of attention when someone sees it. I still have all the reels he used on it. an old sheakspeare levelwind baitcaster, the 1st zedco 202, a 33, and last a zebco omega 33 I bought him for retirement. fond memmories of my youth

5. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :confused2: Mellon...I like the rod story..If you use it again the story will have to change...I think it should remain in retirement:roll_eyes:

6. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Thanks for sharing your trip Bryan! I've got my Grandpa's steel rod and I think it's a Sears Roebuck bait casting reel. I've never used it, I clean & oil the reel every year and it works just fine. The rod doesn't have much color to it but the eyes and handle are in good shape. I catch myself wondering If he would want me to use it. My son will have to answer that question, it will be his soon. It's enough for me to know it was his and how much he enjoyed fishing.
    Don

7. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    good story, i think retirement of old equipment is the way to go. i know people who use their sentimental equipment just because its sentmental."ive caught too many fish on that rod to put it down", but id rather retire it in its current condition, rather than risk a big cat ripping it to pieces. youd probably lose the fish to, it just dont seem right. mellon at least you had a memorable last outing with yours, its kind of like having the last talk with a person before they go. not everyone is lucky enough to do so.

8. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i like the story Bryan. I still wish i could of seen your face when that cat came right at you :tounge_out:

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio

Yes you are right. I'd like to send the reel out the same way.

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Guess I'm too much of a sofy I don't think I could use it or the reel.With my luck it would break and then I would feel bad. I do believe iI would just put it into RETIREMENT and leave it at that. At least you'll always have the memories of you dad using it. If it gets broken you won't have anything at all to remind you of him and his best fishing days. Just my feelings. Of course I've never been lucky enough to get anything like that.

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I say use the stuff. When you buy a reel, is it in your mind that someday you will pass it down to a loved one? Maybe yes maybe no, but regardless, you go out and use it don't you. If you are the recipient of a keepsake reel or rod, go out and use it. You can bet who ever bought it did. To me there is nothing so sad as a piece of good equipment not able to serve it's purpose. If a reel or pole breaks from correct use, then is the time to put it on your memorial wall, and say well done old friend, you deserve a rest. Ask your self this. If Grandpa were still here, would he be using it, or maybe give it to you to learn on while fishing with him? He probably wouldn't let you touch his new one!