Fishing with nightcrawlers

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by jargo1, Aug 8, 2009.

1. jargo1

jargo1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Going out tonight and taking some nightcrawlers. What's the best way to hook these when fishing for channels?

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome aboard the BOC Jack! Not much to the idea of fishing with worms. Kinda like you did as a child fishing. Load the hook up with a worm an cast it out. Haven't used night crawlers in years as I have been using live or cut baits. Good luck on the fishing my friend!

3. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thread 'em or gob 'em on and let 'er rip. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

4. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    I caught my first & still biggest catfish on a nightcrawler so I'm not gonna give up but I havent caught another one on them since and they are difficult to keep alive when it's hot.

5. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I have learned that I catch BIGGER CHANNELS, on INFLATED nightcrawlers. 10 years of fishing with them. At first I used to just weave the crawler on the hook then cast out and wait. THEN.........one day because of all the weeds, I figured it would take them time to find the crawler so I said if I'll float the crawler... "VIOLA" they could find the crawler faster. YEPPP!!!!
    That is when I started to catch MORE double digit fish. I mean I started catching'em 10 pounds and up. The first being 20 pounds.
    With a regular crawler on the bottom, I would catch all little ones. Now I'm not saying you won't catch a BIG one fishing bottom, but think about it. The Larger fish are swimming higher up in the water coloumn chasing other little fish. I Often see them ROLLING on top of the water when I arrive real early in the morning to start fishing.
    Most of my Channels are larger with INFLATED nightcrawlers.

6. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Its hard to explain how I do it..I thread a lil bit then wrap around the hook then stick and wrap around the hook till the hook is covered..Its best to use night crawlers after a good rain..

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree with Ace....I catch bigger channels with worms on a float. I once put 8 nightcrawlers on a hook and caught a 32 lb flathead off the bottom. Last week while flathead fishing, we watched several channelcats which looked to be about 15 or 20 lbs keep surfacing out in front of us. We put a couple small live bluegills on floats, but we didn't hook any biggun's. Nightcrawlers are good baits, I just gobb'em on the hook in a big ole wod and leave some hangin' to wiggle around too.:wink:

8. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I like the eight crawlers on a hook idea , that would be hard for mr. whiskers to pass up on.I usually just put two per hook on and thread them to make the bait bigger.I always try and let one inch front and back be free to wiggle.

9. catma

catma New Member

State:
    iowa
    stop usein night crawlers there a waste of time unless its been rainin

10. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I find the nightcrawler bite is good after a rain for a few days, but I have caught some BIG ones, like the one I have in my AVATAR early summer mornings with no rains for months

11. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yep I agree that worms are the best all around bait for anytime anywhere but it is @ its best after a good rain..

12. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Jack welcome to the B.O.C. ,this is a great site ,just look at the info u have already gotten on how to use nitecrawlers :wink::smile2:

13. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Here in Sc I almost always have one rod out with a crawler on it.Seems we always catch atleast one that way when fishing different baits.Some
    days its all they will hit,especially the Channel Cats.I caught a 15lb blue on 3 of them a few weeks back.I dig them right out the backyard,or should I say the kids do.:smile2:

14. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    i think if you are shooting for eaters than yea crawlers in my experience its mostly been eaters. but the larger fish are hittin cut or live baitfish just my opinion.

15. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    The thing with crawlers, and worms to a lesser extent, is that you can catch about anything that swims with them. Bouncing one along the bottom can get you a nice walleye, or a pike, maybe a big perch. Letting one sit on the bottom can produce carp, and of course catfish. And lets not forget bass. Around here I don't use them often because pesky little bluegill pick at them until they are a mangled mess and will not leave them alone. I'm not catching really big cats, but Secret-7 won't be messed with by anything besides catfish. That is my goal when I am fishing, to catch catfish, not turtles or gar or pesky bluegill that are too small to eat the bait. I do carry them though as an option, because it pays to have several options available as bait when you are catfishing. A couple types of stink bait, some worms or flies to catch something small to use as live or cut bait, crawlers, and even sometimes lures work. If you have several baits you can go to, you can turn a skunking into a productive day by experimenting and finding what the fish want.

16. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just like any other bait if the fish are not there they will not bite. Worms work great. The problem is they cost a bit nowadays unless you can dig your own. If you want to fish with 1 on per hook do so by threading the worm on the entire hook with only the point of the hook showing. I do this and can get good eater size fish, nothing big but fun. If you have a large hook, 8/0 or bigger then I like to glob them on and keep putting them on until no hook left., works with larger fish well.

17. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I catch way more catfish with cutbait. I catch way more other fish using a nightcrawler, though. I might catch two or three 10-15 pound cat on cutbait, but get a couple sheephead, carp, bass, bullhead and other fish with the crawlers waiting for the cats. Also it gets a lot more exciting getting all the taps from bait stealers all the time.

18. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    What I will do when using night crawlers for cats is stick the hook through the crawler as people normall do but only two or three times then I willl run the hook length wise through the worm the length of the remainder of the hook and leave 3-4" of work dangling off the end of the hook. Sometimes I will use a walleye rig (beads and spinner on the leader riding up against the hook) and slow troll or drift fast emugh for the spinneer blade to just rock or roll, that rig over likely cat hot spots. Sometimes I will also "jig" that rig letting it bounce of the bottom and raising it back up and let it fall again. Works really good for the channels!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009