Fishing with my girls

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by KnotGillty, Jun 21, 2009.

1. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Launched out of Verona around 5:00ish Saturday evening to see if I could get my girls on some of the American Shad that have come from the salt to spawn in the fresh. The water has come down more than a foot since last weekend. The action was slow until 7:30 when one of the rods goes off. I jump up, grab the rod, and hold it high. At the same moment I look down to see rod #2 doubled over. I swing on that one with the other hand and have fish on both rods. I hand one to Ashlynn and one to Ellie. Ashlynn landed the first, and while I was helping Ellie reel hers in, it came unbuttoned close to the boat. She got revenge later on another fish. The action was pretty consistent for the next hour. just before dusk, Cheryl said 'honey, lets go before it gets dark'. I replied back with '5 more minutes'. It was a good call as we got one last fish a few minutes later. All fish came on the same rig as last weekend (spinner rig with pink curly tail grub). I kept all our fish this time as I'm going to cut them up and see how well they work as bait for Channel Cats. Didn't see anyone else hook into anything other than small stripers. We were off the water by dark.

Dusted off my 12 foot noodle rod and busted two fish on it. It's really nothing more than a bluegill rod as the max line rating on it is 4 pound test. But fighting strong running shad on it, in the current, is a total rush.

Here's the 4 biggest. My youngest girl (Ellie) was trippin on the shad and refused to hold any fish for a pic. I'll have to work on that:0a14: Here's Cheryl and Ashlynn

Attached Files:

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Randy happy's father's day you AND ALL THE LADIE'S did good on that trip.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Great post, Randy, but the blue font is kinda hard for me to read. No need to shout, either. No harm intended, of course. I'm interested to know how you guys rig for the shad out there. We usually fish current here with crappie jigs or shad darts. Your post sounded as if you were leaving the rods in holders or something. Can you explain a little more how you do it? Thanks.

4. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    99% of the anglers here in Northern California fish the same as you. It's crappie jigs and shad darts, casting into the current and drifting the offering. I've been experimenting this season with a different tactic. I anchor up the boat and tie on a 3-way swivel. I then tie on 30 inches of line to a 2 ounce sinker. To the other eye of the swivel, I tie on 24 inches of line and connect a small spinner rig that's used for crappie / bluegill. Some call it a beetle spin out here. Sassy Shad also makes the same rig. It's essentially a minature version of a spinner bait used for largemouth bass. I modify the rig by removing the weighted jig head hook from the spinner and replace it with a small unweighted baitholder hook. I then attach a small curly tailed grub/jig to the spinner. I don't want the spinner weighed down with the stock hook that's weighted, so I remove it in order to keep the spinner from hitting bottom. From that point I just drop the offering straight down until the weight hits bottom, engage the reel, and then put the rod in the rod holder. The fish normally commit suicide and it's just a matter of pulling the torqued rod out of the holder. The current keeps the blade spinning & fluttering which drives the shad nuts. This 3-way setup keeps the little spinner within a foot of the bottom which is the perfect zone for the Shad. More current or deeper water simply means using a heavier sinker to keep contact with the bottom.

Attached Files:

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    OK, I've got it, now. I see what you're doing, and I've done the same thing a few times, except I will tie the beetle spin or crappie jig in tandem with a bucktail jig instead of the sinker like you're doing. Thanks a lot for the feedback. It's appreciated. Take those young ladies back and let them catch some more, now. Those shad are tons of fun on light tackle. Our season is over here (runs march thru april, roughly).:big_smile:

6. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Congrats on a good day. That's the good stuff.

7. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Happy Father's Day. Looks like you all had a good time. I bet your girls were pretty stoked. Great story thanks for sharing and thanks for the info on the rig too.

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Randy good going look forward to seeing the results on the stuff. I will contact you sometime this summer looks like a northern rd trip is in the making for a day or so.

B