Fishing with Hear Kitty

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by Sparky Larson, May 2, 2006.

1. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Sal,
    I understand you're going to give the Quanacassee a go with Don on Friday! Good Luck! I was supposed to go on Thursday, but I have to get my truck worked on, not to mention a little house work before I leave on Friday.
    Sparky

2. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I forgot to mention, that Don fixed up some new Rod Holder just for you. I hope they keep that heavy duty gear of yours in the boat.LOL
    Sparky

3. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    LMAO... Special for my big ole feeeeeshin rod eh?

And I was gonna just bring the handmade gray one with the corsair and my whitey spinning rod with the junko reel. I want to feel em this time- Don's talk of lighter rods made me wonder what I been missing out by using the iron bars and winches that I own... besides, I dont want to tip Don's boat over with the 13 footer when I swing back to cast out.

hahahhahaaaaa

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Let me tell you, if you fish with some light spinning equipment, you'll be fishin Don style, and you'll have a ball. You have to remember, unless your freeze is full of cats like ours are, or you just don't want to keep em. You'll lose a few, and maybe a little tackle, but thats why we call it fishing.
    Friday afternoon, your in for some clearing weather, so you should have a great. You won't find a better Captain around to put you on the fish in that area! So, go get em!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sparky

5. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Well Sparky, the wife spent a fifty this past Chrsitmas on JUST swivels and circle hooks. I can afford to give a terminal tackle tribute up to "Gato Di Mare" this year as penance for my badness last year.

Especially if it is in trade for a fat kitty and a good fight.

I switched back to 100% mono this year too... Its an about face for me with respect to my channel cat rods. The flatty rods still have the spider wire fusion on em, but everything else is plain ole mono.

We will see! I sure am excited either way, and wether I get one or one hundred, the point is to get out there and DO... and so the moment I step in the boat, I will declare it MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Good luck to you too on Houghton, guys. Hope you break the record... just so I can fix it when I get there next month.
    MUAHAHAHAAHAAAA!

Sal

6. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Hay sparky mabe there is hope for these two yet! but?

7. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    sent some emails about flatheads don't jump out of your skin sal

8. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    The 1st two pages loaded, the other did not. What I read is beginning to interest me though.

9. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I got your e-mail Don, very interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eat your hearts out you silent Flatheader!!!!! LOL
    Sparky

10. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    HEY DON,

Here is the marine forecast for this weekend.
    Looking forward (very excited) to visiting tomorrow.

The post rain and weather change will do us well.
    Sal

11. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    looking forward to this weekend as well we should be able to catch one or two any way suposed to get a little cool at night so bring warm cloths you to vic!

12. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Definitely. Wouldn't leave home without them...

13. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Report I read said 33 on friday night and 34 on Saturday. WOOOWWWWWEEEEEE!!!! Its another long johns and boots weekend!

14. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    I have a couple propane heaters that should help!

15. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Hey fellas,

Hear Kitty and I are putzing around after returning from being out on the river this evening. We literally lost count of our success. LOTS of kitties, couple a bullheads, and a carp to start it all off.

Here is a pic- HOLY CRAP! Sal holding a catfish!?!?!?! (dont tell anyone)

So we came home, cleaned the few we kept (one male and 2 bullheads for smoking)

The pics are one and two of 2 from Don's camera. I have a half a roll on my 35mm, but ya gotta wait for me to fill the roll with tomorrow's luck.

Vic and Sparky will be joining us. Chances are if we have luck tomorrow like we had last night, Ill run out of film before noon.

See ya monday!

Sal

Attached Files:

16. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    All i can say is what a weekend! Started friday with me and sal at about 5:00 pm we caught about 30 channels and left at about 11:00 pm the wind was hell and the rain didn't help! Saturday we hooked up with vic and started fishing about noon! I don't now how many of you have had the pleasure of fishing with these two but your in for a real treat. These two are the most dogfish catching fools i have ever seen! I thought we were going catfishing but these two could not get off the dogfish seems to be vic's signature fish!:happy: :happy: :happy: But if you are looking for intelligent conversation and having a good time spend some time with these two!! I have pics of the dogfish and will try to post them! sal we can still make a trade for those pike spoons!!!! It's not to late!

17. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Congrats on the good fishing guys. The multi-species thing is a real bonus

Look forward to fishing with all you guys some day.

Dan

18. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Brothers,
    You have GOT to get on Don's boat! You have GOT to meet this guy and spend time fishing with him!

I can outright say this was the best weekend so far this year and without a doubt one of the most memorable 2-day spans I have had in a long long while, surely the best Ive had without being among family, no doubt the best catfishing day for me ever. Don is the ultimate host. Food, shelter, a seat on the boat... It seemed that all I had to do was ask and he woulda sharpened and baited my hooks too!

We did have success fishing... and friday night that was almost surreal. Saturday's luck was decent but the experience could easily be understated for the sake of many small things- the conversation flow from the two boat partners, Dreamcatcher and Hear Kitty, was what really sold the day for me. Not to mention a fantastic dinner, some serious laughs, and we saw Michigan Dave and his boy AND we hooked up some teens who were bank fishing by telling them about the site and giving em some shrimp to use as bait... which they never knew about. All in all, I left that night for home as a thirsty man. Thirsty for more. Wanting to memorize every aspect of the whole weekend cause it was the stress reliever I needed, after a month of roller coaster work. Days like that truly bring the rest of life back into perspective.
    Don, you really made a lifelong experience out of two silly days. I rarely laugh so often, rarely get to work up a lil sweat in 33 degree weather by just fishing, and VERY rarely do I get to have such a fantastic breakfast. Home cooked iron skillet biscuits and sausage gravy are my new #1, buddy! OH and your wonderful wife's chili was such a welcome treat at 1am after friday nights blowing rain and cold cold conditions!!!

Vic, what else can I say except that you're about as northbound as a compass, man!!! If there were a proper human definition for straightline genius, you'd be my pick. It was like fishing with a college professor. The topics we covered and hammered out and generally picked apart are fodder for the next year worth of posts or more. All I could do was sit half the time and listen with a big old grin on my face, dumbfounded by the stuff I was a witness to. You're an inspiring guy, Vic. Even though the cats didnt think so much of you as the dawgs did.
    I will fill my roll of film up soon enough and update this thread the moment it happens.

I did get an email this morning from Don with his pics, and I have to post this GREAT pic of this CATFISH I caught. You guys would not believe it, but for such a small CATFISH, both Vic and Don DOVE for their cameras. It is nice to know that when a fella gets a CAT on the line, his bros come out and really lay on the kudos. Don, there was something on the lens of your camera I think. This lil kittyfish has a strange black bar on its head that I didnt see when I unhooked it. Heck! You cant even see the barbels on its chin! Ahh... oh well- it coulda just been the sunlight.

Thanks again to both of you. I REALLY cant wait till Houghton Lake.

Sparky, you were missed. Shoulda been there.

Sal

Attached Files:

19. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Sal shame on you for trying to hide that dog fish

20. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Me?