Fishing with gold fish for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Believer, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I tried goldfish the other night for the 1st time, and the doggone things cost me $1.00 each. :eek:oooh:
    I didn't have any luck (only fished a couple hours) but noticed that the gold fish weren't real active. I hooked them about mid body below the spine but above the organs with an 8/0 hook. I was using a 3 way swivel with a 5 0z sinker with about 1 ft of line on one leg & about a 3 ft. line on the side with the bait.

Any thoughts?

Eric

2. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Thats ILLEGAL here brother. I often wondered if they worked though.

3. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I've hooked some cats rigged the same way you did but they're only $5.00 a dozen here in southern Ohio at one of our local bait shops.

4. striper

striper New Member

State:
    north carolina
    goldfish are a really good, hardy bait that we use here in north carolina when you don't have access to brim or shad. here they are $12-$15 a pound. depends on the size, but equates to about a dollar a piece. i am lucky cause i can get them from new jersey. i pay $20 for 4 dozen. one of the rigs i use is a carolina rig. depends on the size of the goldfish which size weight to use but i found about 2oz is good. slide the weight on the main line then a bead to protect the knot. then tie on a barrel swivel, then your leader. i like to use 25-30lbs flourocarbon. now you can use a float before the hook or not. the float will keep the fish above the bottom if it gets lazy. i use a 5/O to 7/O circle hook. again your choice. i hook the goldfish a little behind the dorsal fin so it wants to swim towards the surface. the goldfish usually stays active all night for me. good luck

ed

5. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    I live in southeastern ohio and the cats really seem to love them in the spring, and early summer. I generally take a variety of baits being i fish with a partner we have 4 poles in the water and four different baits usaually goldfish, bluegill, bullheads, and creek chubs (suckers).

Some holes they may eat a goldfish, others maybe some thing else. We cut the top fin of the goldfish sometimes to, the swim more akward in the water and i think it helps trigger strikes.

6. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I haven't tried goldfish often, but a few of our local baitshops sell them. One of the things I like about them is that they are a very hardy baitfish and will swim around for a good long time. That makes them really good for lines that will be sitting still for a while, such as trotlines, limblines, jugs, or really patient rod and reel.

Last time I used one it lived for 5 hours on the hook. Might have lasted longer, but I caught a 5# channel with it.

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I dont know if it is legal here to use them or not. I do know that they are too expensive here to use for that purpose. I just stick with blue gill.

8. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I think you done alright with your rig, but I would've hooked them in the lower side of the tail just behind the dorsal fin. That's how I hook all my live bait for cats.

-Red

9. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Not real lively, huh? Next time put one aspirin per every two goldfish in with 'em. Ya better have the lid on tight, cuz they'll jump right out of the bait bucket. Aspirin + baitfish = baitfish on speed!!!!

Ole timers trick.

10. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    This stuf works like fish crack on gills and I expect it will work on goldfish

11. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    are you serious about the aspirin trick?? does this work with any baitfish??

12. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Ive caught a few flats on goldfish but prefer to use bluegills, creek chubs and suckers in the river. The goldfish seem to work better for flatheads in lakes.

13. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    My mom runs a craft/bait shop. Her biggest sellers to catfishermen are goldfish and crawdads.(I know crayfish:big_smile: ) They(flats) seem to like goldfish pretty well here.

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i think you should try hooking them in a different place,like in the tail. avoid the vitals man !!!!! try hooking them just behind the anal fin,in slack water and in the forhead in current. above all be carefull to AVOID THE VITALS!

and dont buy bait brother its free for the catchin.

15. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I forgot to mention how I hooked them. Take the hook and go up through the bottom of the mouth and up through one of the nostrils. Bluegills don't last too long this way, but goldfish and green sunfish last forever this was. I think it may be because it resricts the water flow through the mouth and the goldfish and green sunfish have larger mouths so it affects them less. Bait that is alive for 5 hours on a hook is always a good thing (not as good as death to a big fish though).

16. CountryCarp14

CountryCarp14 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    You can us gold fish down here but the cheap way is to buy worms and catch brim and cut the heads off.

17. flatheadsteve

flatheadsteve New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have caught a few flatheads on gold fish but i like gills and creek chubs better. the gold fish seem to do better in lakes in my opinion

18. fishergirl420

fishergirl420 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Im here in Arizona and i've never used nor fished with anyone that has used Golfish. I heard they were a great bait fish though. Maybe I should try it, I might catch there attention with something foreign.

19. bigkatking

bigkatking Member

State:
    ky
    I ALWAYS HOOK MINE THAT WAY BUT I CLIP THE TAIL FIN ON ONE SIDE A LITTLE MAKES THEM SWIM CRAZY AND ATTRACTS ATTENTION

20. bcatfishing

bcatfishing New Member

State:
    ofallon mo
    I use goldfish for blues and flatheads. The problem with them not swimming around alot is probably that you are using to big of a hook for the goldfish. Good way to tell if its to heavy is to hook them and then lay them in your livewell and if they go upside down the hooks to big.