Fishing With Frogs

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by seagreen, Jun 28, 2006.

1. seagreen

seagreen New Member

State:
    virginia
    Okay my tadpole post lead me to the conclusion that tadpoles are very uneffective bait, but now a different issue. I have Frogs swarming my area do to recent storms. Its cleared up today and I put one frog in my bait bucket. Has anyone here every fished with live frogs b4 and what can i expect?
    Thanks

2. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I personally have not done this but I understand it produces good results. Set up a limbline and hook the frog in its leg or mouth. Give the frog just enough line to stay around the surface. The frog will struggle on the top of the water until something comes along and decides to have lunch.

3. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    not much feeds on tadpoles and frogs b/c of that poison they secrete when in danger. there have been studies involving tadpoles and their predators and the most aggressive consumer of tadpoles and small frogs is believe it or not...dragonfly larvae...we've all seen them at one point on another...they look like those "chinese crickets" that tear up ur lawn but they live in the water. point being that there is few predatory fish that prey on tadpoles and frogs... the most eager consmers being perch and bass...this is why we have explosions in population numbers...maybe try whackin' off the head and discarding the bad-tasting poison factor...hell, as far as i know, anything bloody is catfish bait...right??? cant see how it could hurt to give a try...
    shaun

4. seagreen

seagreen New Member

State:
    virginia
    I have heard that the movement of the frog is irresitable to bass

5. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Frogs are great bait for channels or flatheads. Dead or alive, they don't stay alive long under the water.

6. seagreen

seagreen New Member

State:
    virginia
    thanks chuck, Im gonna try them on some channels tonight, how do u suppose I rig them

7. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah, I've caught several decent sized bass on frogs, alive and dead.

8. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    are you guys talking about?

I know toads have poison but what about bull frogs and tree frogs?

I saw a CottonMouth one time swallowing a bull frog one time. The frog was so big the CottonMouth was having a hard time swallowing him. Never the less it was his last meal.

For those of you that like to leave the snakes alone, I agree most of the time but this was in a pond in a guys yard with kids running around and people fishing from the bank etc.

9. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    I hook them through the lips or through the skin in the middle of their back and fish them on the bottom carolina rigged or under a slip float.

10. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have one thing to say about frogs for bait (well frogs or leopard frogs). If you throw a frog out and don't have a bite within 15 minutes, move, or go home, cuz they have lock jaw if they will not eat them.

There are a couple of reasons for this:

1. They are a natural food source for just about ANY water in America, large or small, all the waters in America contain frogs, and any time you can use a bait that is natural to the body of water is a good thing.

2. Frogs are a natural enemy to all fish, especially during spawns. They eat eggs and small frey of all fish. If you get lucky enough to throw a frog with 5 feet of a occupied nest, you best not set your rod down! It will be on the bottom of the river if you do.

We sit in this waterway that runs through a wheatfield by where I grew up, it is full of frogs. They are hard to catch for fat old men, so we sit with pellet guns and shoot them. It is the funnest way I know to get bait, and you can make a contest of it. The one who shoots the most frogs gets to choose either the spot on the bank to fish from, or front or back of the boat!

11. suddawg

suddawg New Member

TA2D and I used a leopard frog on a bank line years ago, and it produced the only fish caught that night. A nice 4 pound Catfish that went into our belly that night. :big_smile:

SudDawg

12. okshores17D

okshores17D New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I personally have never fished with frogs but i saw pics from a co worker and he caught about 20 8# to 10# on frogs in a stocked pond. Also had a couple nice bass!

13. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Give them a try, you will not be disappointed, I assure you. And like I said, getting bait has never been so much fun! Almost as much fun as fishing itself! Cooler of beer to sit on, a handful of pellets, and the good ol' daisy air rifle, it is a hoot!

14. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    frogs make GREAT bait if you can get a couple and hook them so they stay alive long enough you'll be a flathead catchin machine lol