Fishing with floats

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ShilohRed, Dec 3, 2008.

1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Had a guy call me Monday, and tell me he caught his best fish. While using one of our FKB-4 Katbobber. He was not doing good at drifting. So he rigged up the KatBobber. And threw it out the side of the boat.
    He had been seeing fish on the depth finder about half way between the bottom and the top. So he set the bobber stop for half way. Well in a few minutes he has a 25 lb blue cat. The water temp was around 49 degrees. And he could not believe that the blues would be up in the water like this . In colder water.
    Well it just goes to show, the bigger fish do stay up off bottom year around. So if your not doing good, try what he did. Drift a big chunk of shad or skipjack over 40 or so ft of water and have the bait set where your seeing fish on the depth finder.
    So many people think this only works in the summer time. And it works any time of the year.
    Good luck and may you also find the fish suspended like this . And be able to catch a few.
    Pete

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks for the post Pete, float works year around.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    CJ21 your right.But its hard to get people to try them. But any time your seeing fish up off bottom is a perfect time to be fishing with one.
    Pete

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Was he fishing in a river or lake? I wouldn't think that the fish would suspend like that in a river. I did catch my first fish on a bobber the other day, about a 10lb blue in the river on a 4ft deep flat. That was pretty cool stuff there!:big_smile:

5. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Slip bobber rigs is always good to use in the winter time and yes it works year round. As a matter of fact I prefer to use it in the winter time more so than the summer because at times a lot of the bait fish is in mid depths. Thats is normally where you will find the fish, right under the bait fish. This is more so in lakes and reservoirs for me.

6. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    Wes i had it work well in the river in 70 ft, water. If they are not bitting on the bottom try to find them on you finder and then try at that dept. I have caught fish 25ft, over 60ft water. They are feeding where the bait is.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    He was fishing a River system, but there was not any current. I fish the Tn river with them here. When the current is slow enough.
    And like Radish posted. They will work in deep water also. AS most times the bait fish are now stacked in open water 15ft to 20 ft deep over deeper water.
    Pete

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i use them day,nite,summer,and winter.fish them 6 foot deep over 40 to 45 foot of water.27 of my biggest fish have come this way.

9. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i have fished floats in the summer time not winter .i might try it. i like the looks of those floats red after christmas i will get some from you .i would like to try them

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    You can catch them yr round with a float

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Richard I think you will like them. After you try them out. Also what part of Tn are you in? We may get over that way after the first of the year.
    Also it was good meeting you at Pickwick. Hope we can meet up again and talk a little more next time.
    Pete

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Radish and Pits. Could you tell everyone more how both of you use floats to fish your style?
    I know everyone would love to hear both of your view's on how you use them. And the way you rig them up also.
    Thanks in advance.
    Pete

13. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    I fish the dams on the arkansas river with a remote control boat using
    large corks . You have to use bait boat as I call it to put your bait in
    the flood gates . you can throw a 100yds with the big rigs but you
    can;t throw a big cork in there Those fish are always suspended in
    there .