fishing with eel`

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by buddy_25_99, Apr 24, 2009.

1. buddy_25_99

buddy_25_99 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    if some one could give me the advice just for where to hook eel at i will be fishing with the eels dead more than likely as cut bait. i have asked this question before but where the server had went down the fourm was deleted. thanks alot

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    after cutting eel hook thru body cavity skin is very tough it even hard to get off when u want too

3. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    I cut mine into 3 or 4" chunks and hook them through their belly. It doesn't take much to run the hook through the belly, I only hook about a 1/4" through the belly.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Cut the eel to fit the size hook you are usein. Just about a 1/4 inch as mentiond back on the dark skin just hook it on and let it dangle. It won't come off. LOL! My record is 5 channels on one piece of eel. LOL! And above all. If you catch it lay claim to the head. Lots of goodies oozin outa there. LOL!

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    ^What he said:wink:

6. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I hook my chunks in the corner, real close, just enough to keep it on for the cast. I usually cut the chunks somewhere between tea spoon and table spoon size. If I'm using a whole live eel, I hook it through the lips- hook point up. I make my dead eel look live by setting them right at the edge of the current and still water...it makes it flip-flop back an forth and look alive. :wink:

7. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    How do you get your ells. I have caught eels on limb lines and trotlines
    and a few on reel and rod but not on a regular basis. I have seen the
    extensions for for minnow traps but have never tried it.

8. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I buy most of mine...every now and again I'll catch one on chicken liver.

9. buddy_25_99

buddy_25_99 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    yeah i buy mine too i dont have alot of time to fish for them. but i heard just warms around real dense cover is a good place to get them. im not going to lie im scared to death of them alive i reach in like a little girl and throw them on the bank and chop the head off. i hate snakes and they look alot like one even after you chop there head off they still wiggle. can they bite

10. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    you can catch them on shrimp fairly easy on the cape fear no they will not bite you . to hold on to them use a green scrubing pad or newspaper both work well or just lip them like a bass :eek:oooh: if you have ice handy lay them in it for a few minutes then you can handle them

11. Jollymon

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    another trick drop them in a little sand then they are like sandpaper u can hold on to them easy

12. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I was just about to mention the sand thing, that's what I do to. I just hate the slimy super glue like gunk that takes forever to wash off.:eek:oooh:

13. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    another way to hold them is as soon as caught to put them on ice. it lowers their body temp and slows them down. than very easy to handle. also you can put a piece of plex glass in cooler and seperate the ice from them and kepp them like tis all night. so you can fish whole and all. thus when they get in water it takes them a while to get up and goign but by than they have been eaten. ope this helps some. i started fishing with these things in early 90's and all. i even have what we call eel pots to catch them.

14. Jollymon

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Joe what do u bait the pots with ?

15. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I've used the pots myself, but I've never caught anything in them. Probably user error:smile2: I'm sure they work, just not for me. I used shrimp heads in the ones I set b/c shrimp is what we catch the eels on hook and line.

16. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i fill the pots with either fish guts and bodies or chicken livers. those that would come by my old shed will tell you i had at least 100 at anytime and big ones not anything uner 8 inchs. got to leave the traps in water for at least a week to get the most out of them. and if you pull them up and an eel is in it take it out. cause he will et oout when you reset it. hope this helps some. i got a friend who has a lot of them for sale. but not sure what he is asking ow. ok thanks and hope this helps