Fishing with chicken livers

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Muleskinner, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Muleskinner

Muleskinner New Member

State:
    Ms.
    Seeing how I am new to the forum. i am quiet sure that most of my post will probably already have been posted. So just look over them if so. i just really enjoy talking about catfishing. Anyhow I really enjoy fishing with Chicken liver. But as you all know they are slung off the hook and bit off very easily. I seen this new twist the other day. I met an elderly man that had several livers in a bucket. But the livers were all tied inside a stocking. It was just a little round pod. I really liked the idea. The scent can still flow real well. Then you are not going to sling that stocking off no matter how hard you try. That sure made the livers last a lot longer. I even caught more fish than usual because I wasn't busy all the time rebaiting or either setting there fishing with an empty hook.:angry:

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    That is definitely a good method, and I've tried that before.

I've also found that Purdue livers are better put together than Tyson, so I usually go to Walmart and stock up on Purdue.

When I don't use a stocking, I just break out a treble hook and slip the stem/eye of the treble hook through the liver, then attach the treble hook to my leader. They stay on really well that way without having to tie a stocking.

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I also agree with the quality of Purdue livers from walmart. However, I fish with circle hook a lot. I have found that if you let the livers age for a couple of days before you use them they seem to work better. Also you have to master the "lob" trick instead of just casting as hard as you can.

4. mrhookset

mrhookset New Member

State:
    New York
    I also love fishing with livers. I heard people talk bad about them. how you will just be playing around with the dinks. But I will have to let you know that just about all of the catfish I have ever caught were on fresh chicken liver. I usually use a 3 or 4 ot. wide gap worm hook. I put the liver on making sure not to squeeze it too much and also try to hook several times through the fat in the liver that helps it stay on too. I never really spent the time to make the little pouches with the stockings but have heard they are pretty effective. I just usually bring 2-3 tubs of liver and most cases use about half of a hole liver its pretty good size but they say bigger bait bigger fish I think that the extra amount of blood really tends to draw them in. I also would like to mention that I switched to a drop shot kind of set up that seems to work pretty well. Putting a decent size sinker on the bottom, about a foot above rigging the hook on a small leader to keep it from tangling on the main line and attatching a small float just big enough to keep the bait off the bottom but not lifting the sinker. It seems to be easier for the catfish to access and also prevents so many snags. especially river fishing.
    P.S. PURDUES PRODUCE (THE BEST CHICKEN LIVERS BY FAR)
    P.S. I think I am going to go out tonight and brave the cold for some action.

Thanks for reading

Frank (aka Mrhookset)

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    In my experience with liver and other bait, I have found that I do usually catch bigger channels on cuts fresh shad, but however, I can produce picture after picture of 8-10 pound channels that I have caught on chicken liver. Never give up on livers, but be willing to try several different baits at the same time to see what is working.

6. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    :big_smile: :big_smile: I myself quite often use beef liver or pork liver soaked in chicken liver blood. It is alot tougher to throw the off than chicken liver.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I like livers myself, they are good baits!

8. Muleskinner

Muleskinner New Member

State:
    Ms.
    Thank you all. Yeah I am no expert catfisherman by far. I knew nothing about Purdue livers from Walmart. Oh yeah someone had mentioned mastering the lob instead of the cast. Believe me I have that one down pat. Well maybe not quiet down pat I still can not get in between logs sometimes where i want it to go is not actually where it lands.:go:

9. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Dion,
    Welcome to the Boc brother, glad to have you here. Curing chicken livers is a great way to keep them on your hook. Take a look in the Boc library and you will find tons of information on curing chicken livers, and so much more.

You have found the catfishing information highway here my friend...

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Dion, Welcome to the B.O.C.:smile2: . As others have mentioned, curing the livers works very well. I prefer to use garlic salt, just marinate them in a tupperware container for a couple days.

To secue them on the hook, I use the little rubber bands that women use to do hair braiding etc, It's easier than tying on string:tounge_out:

11. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    my gandpa showed me to use stocking about 20 years and have done it ever since while fihing with liver thanks for the tip dion and welcome to the boc

12. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I use liver everytime I go out on at least one rod, but mainly use cut bait on most of the other ones i take out.

Wheelmobile07

13. greg12345

greg12345 New Member

State:
    NC
    You can also use atlas magic thread, you wrap it around the liver on the hook and you don't need to tie it. People also cure them with salt/garlic to toughen them up until they are the consistency of jerky.

14. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    When I use chicken livers i use the pantyhose method most of the time. Be sure to use circle hooks. I have found that if I use a regular hook then the ball tends to slide down and cover the point of the hook meaning missed hook ups, with the circle hook the point is still exposed. To close my hose ball I use little rubber bands that I picked up at the 99cent store, easier then tying them. Lately I have been using beef liver more and I have found they stay on the hook better and I seem to get the same amount of bites on them as I do with the chicken.

15. greg12345

greg12345 New Member

State:
    NC
    You can also use chicken gizzards, tough as leather.

16. Ryan11r

Ryan11r New Member

State:
    Newton Kansas
    Do the chicken livers work in the winter time in small lakes? I have hit my good summer time spots with out any luck so I am wondering if its the bait or the fish moving around on me?

17. catfishinrepoman

catfishinrepoman New Member

State:
    georgia
    try some turkey livers if you can find them....they are a lot tougher than chicken livers

18. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Yes Ryan, The Chicken livers will work just as well in the winter months in small lakes & streams.

Now that you mentioned it, the cats have been hitting better on the blood punch bait, than the regular formula. So maybe they'll even work better:roll_eyes:

19. catfishinginky

catfishinginky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    muleskinner i have been using panty hose to keep the liver on for quite a while it seem to work pretty well for me also, cept for the looks when u go to buy them! but i was wondering if u have ever used chicken gizzards and do u have a certain way to prepare them seems just plain gizzards dont bring much luck but when u do get hits on them they also stay on the hook well, just seems like they need more flavor to attract the big fish any ideals?