Fishing with certain baits

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Rajun_Cajun, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    well i was wondering, do you think you could fish for channel catfish with any kind of game animal meat such as deer, geese, rabbit, kitten lol. (just kidding about the kitten part) if you have tried it or are willing to share any tips, please do. thanks :tounge_out:

2. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have heard of people fishing with their inards, squirel to be exact and actualy catching channel catfish. As long as it is stinky it should work.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I read another thread about someone using backstrap off a deer that was frezzer burnt and had some luck with it.

4. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    When I was little, and there were TONS of jackrabbits here in Kansas, I used to steer my dad's truck, was to little to reach the petals, so we would just idle through the fields along old oil roads, while Dad stood in the back with the .22 shooting the jackrabits. He would use the liver for bait, and swore by it. He also has a good friend who raises rabits for butcher, he gets all his liver as well.

I have used deer liver, beef liver, turkey liver, you name it, they all work pretty good.

5. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    The liver and hearts are the only thing out of them that I would think might work.

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Believe That Any Type Of Animal Matter Will Work, Since Catfish Are Scent "Magnets" Odor/Smell Will Aid In tHem Locating The Source Of Food/Bait.

Here's Some Food For Thought(HA-HA), Most Predatory Animals/Fish Are Signaled By Wounded Prey, Such As Blood, Squealing Etc., Hence Blood In Bait Is Effective. Look At How Some Lures Are Made They Wiggle And Shake Like A Wounded Fish, Causing The Fish To Strike.

Some Catfish, Like Flatheads Prefer To Consume Live Bait But If You Cut The Fins Off So They Swim As If They Were Wounded It Attracts The Fish Without Scent. As Far As Channels Are Concerned, They Are Like The Buzzards Of The Water, If It Has Scent They Are Zeroing In On It.

One Last Point I Would Like To Make, DO NOT Confuse Scent And Odor. I Train Police K-9's & It Is A Common Error For Humans To ASSUME That If It Smells BAD To Them It Is Odor Yet If It Smells Good To Them It Is Scent. Take For Instance A Dog Smelling Poop, They Don't Turn Their Noses Away From That, Because It Doesn't Smell "BAD" To Them but it Does LURE Them.

So What I'm Basically Trying To Get Across Is, As Long As They Can Pick Up A Scent It Will Draw Them, It Doesn't Neccessarily Have To Offend You To Work, HTH Elliot

7. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jeff, you probably remember that one of Garland's favorite baits was jackrabbit livers and loins. They worked best in early April, but for a short period each spring I don't think there is any bait better. I probably shouldn't share this but one time we also caught a nice mess of channel cats on some of Mildred's kittens.

8. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Calvin, I am sure that is where my Dad learned to use them for bait, (Jacks, not kittens) is from Garland. Lord knows Garland taught him almost everything else he knows about fishing. The kitten thing does not really suprise me....but could have gone without knowing that! :wink:

Some stray cats had kittens under our shed, there are like 8 of them running all over the back yard, I wonder.......................:wink:

Just kidding, daughter and wife would KILL me, even if I could bring myself to do it!