fishing with braid

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, May 19, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i got braid on all of my poles and i was curious wat some of you do to ( set the hook )

wat ive always done is throw out my bait and then put the rod in the rod holder... i leave the bail open and when a cat runs with the bait i pick up the rod and flick the bail over..... as soon as i feel a tug on the rod i rip there face off.....

can i still do this with braid???

99 % of the time im using a 6/0 octopos hook and stinkbait.... my method wont rip the hook out of their lips will it.....

ive never used braid before and i lost a good cat cause of it

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Braided lines do not have the stretch or "the give" that monofilaments do. As hard as it sounds like you set the hook, I would say there is a darn good chance that you will rip the hook. You might try not setting the hook quite so hard. Good luck

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i agree and think if your using circle hooks just let it load up then just tug with the pole not jerk it then the fight is on

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Are they octopus or octopus circles? If circles just cast and put your pole in the holder and "tight line". This means take out the slack until the tip of your pole just starts to bend. Now just leave it alone until it's doubled over.

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i dont have circles.....

6. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Sleekcraft,
    Old Habits DIE HARD! You seem to be a younger fisherman so maybe you can change before it gets WORSE! Do not try to Cross their EYES or Pull Off their LIPS when setting the hook with Braid! As has been stated that Braid does not STRETCH! A Lifting of the rodtip will set the hook for you even at distances of 100+ yards. When using Circle hooks, the other bit of advise given is correct as well, Let the fish Hook Itself and reel it in! Crossing the Eyes of the fish with Braid will LOOSE more fish than you could imagine! I use PP Braid and it is on all but my Float fishing reels. I have spoke of the problems encured by myself with floats and PP in a previous post. I LOVE using Braid and find that it makes my fishing more ENJOYABLE. JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

7. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i just started using braid too. it took me a little while to get used to it but its best in my opinion to tight line and let the fish do most of the hooksetting themselves, but i use circle hooks. it might be different with you because i have no experince with octopus hooks. like everyone else has said it has NO stretch whatsoever. good luck and i hope you get your problem fixed.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Close the bail!!!!Dont let them run like that.When they pick it up and take off ,they will set the hook themselves just pick the rod up and start reeling.

9. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Braid is good stuff especially if your fishing around a lot of grass or tulle's. Back off on the drag so when you swing for the fence your drag gives and not the fishes lips. I seen guys snap pole by having to tight of a drag. They thought they were still fishing mono. Remember no stretch so something has to give.

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    There is not need to set the hook with circle hooks. Leave the pole in the holder and let it do the work. Additionally, the hooks are designed to set themselves. CLOSE THE BAIL! If you must have some play, do this with drag.

11. TexDan

TexDan New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hi! Guy, I understand your post. Your problem is that you are setting your hook too hard. I have the same problem sometimes...and it SUCKS. I lost a nice fish a year or so ago when I forgot, set the hook like I had mono on and pow! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. It may be 50 lb test slow dead lift but it isn't near as strong as 30 lb mono for abrupt jerks with stiff poles. Along with setting the hook with a lot less force, I generally use a rod with a softer tip when I am using braid and this helps a little. Stiff rods, hard hook sets and braid just don't go together.

Now, I would give the circle hooks a try. I just RECENTLY switched over to them for a lot of uses and especially when using spinning gear, they are GREAT. Close the bail and don't mess with it till the fish has it loaded. I carp and catfish at the same time most of the time and the spinning rods see a lot of action. Cats especially seem to like my carp baits. Every time I go carp fishing I catch cats and carp seem to be where the cats are as well so why not fish for them. The little ones make good bait and the big ones are great fun. It was through the carp fishing that I learned the pleasures of a circle hook and moved it into my catfishing and now my bass fishing. Give them a try.