Fishing with Bluegills Under a Bobber?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by shania, Apr 14, 2007.

1. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I have "seen:eek:oooh: and heard" alot of people who "fish & talk" alot about fishing with "Bluegills" under a Bobber - But that information did not come from (who I think are) the "Best of the Best" (The Members of the B.O.C.)when it comes down to doing it. So I would like to hear some pointers on:
    "The Way It Sould Be Done"! :wink:

So give me some pointers because: I like to learn new things & You never to old to learn new things. :wink:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I fish that way quite a bit. I have the 11-12" cigar type weighted floats with a half to 1 oz. weight under it. I'd recommend some of gene's kat-bobbers.I haven't tried them yet but hope to soon.I use a small,thin piece of rubber band for a bobber stop. Just let it swim around and they'll find it.Its harder in a lot of current but you can do it.

BTW,I'm nowhere the best of the best.I just have a lot of experience using it this way.Any more detail or questions let me know.:big_smile:

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    theres a lot of reasons to use a float.some use them at nite with glow sticks for strike indacaters,others use them to keep from getting snaged in rocky or log filled water,some use them to present bait to suspended fish,and some ancor upstream from a snag or log jam then float the bait into and under the jam.i use them mostly for letting the wind carry my bait off shore to reach places i cant cast to.there really good for floating brem in shallow sand bars and any where you dont want to fish on bottom.

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey John,
    :worship: Can you post a photo of that rig that you are talking about Buddy? :confused2:
    :0a31:

Take it easy Buddy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just like crappie fishing except on a much larger scale. I don't normally fish like that because it bothers me to have slack in my line, but I do know that it is an effective method.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
  7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Hey Bert,
    Check out Gene's web-site (look under the B.O.C. sponsors for WildWolf Products) and check out his Fat-Kat bobbers, I just bought 5 from him and they look real good plus you can use them at night with the glow sticks, but that's what their for, fishing with large baitfish so check it out and I think it shows how to rig it up and everything on his site. Plus I think he has a special going on for B.O.C. members this month.

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ya all know years ago they had thise Orange and Yellow Round Plastic Blaa Floats and I think you could get fairly large size ones. Spose they would work with a gill attached to em" Or would the gill pull it under??:confused2:

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I'd try the bigger cigar style bobbers or kat-bobbers. Them gills are pretty strong little critters esp. 6" and up.

10. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I fish over a float and use circle hooks. I like Gamakatsu (sp?) hooks. This is frankly a slightly lazy fisherman's dream. I do have to watch the float. When it starts moving or goes under I can pick up my rod and starting reeling. With circle hooks you do not have to set the hook. Old Tom does it for me. Circles are easier to get out of the fish and if you want to catch and release just mash the barb down with some needle nose. I gotta put a bell on that rod tip so I won't even have to watch the float. That's it.

11. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i never have, but i want to try it. ealier today i took an empty water bottle and wrapped siver alumminum tape around it and added about 6 ounces of lead to it. then i took a 1/0 barrel swivel and epoxied it to the lid and sealed the lid shut with epoxy. its drying now but its just an experiment that im gunna try. should hold a pretty good sized gill in the area i want him in. and hell get worn down pretty fast im guessing with the lead i put in there.

12. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    I'm in the same boat as Bert. I got the rig down and what I want to know is how is the best way to hook a bluegill for it to stay lively the longest.

Joe

13. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If nothing else, Joe... I can welcome you to the BOC...:cool2:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I used to have a drug problem, but now I have more money.

14. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Joe welcome to the BOC.

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U have to use a bobber bigger enough to hold the weight and bluegill. I would remend a 10'' or 12'' float, or use a 1 oz or 2 oz weight.

16. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
  17. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use a slip cork rig because they are great for casting and setting your float/bobber at deep depths.